Softball

Syracuse splits final 2 games of Colorado State Classic

Jordan Phelps | Staff Photographer

Alexa Romero pitched four scoreless innings in Syracuse's lone win of the day.

For the second time this season, it looked like Syracuse (8-13) had blown a seventh inning lead. On Feb. 8, San Diego State scored six runs in the bottom of the final inning to defeat the Orange. After leading 7-2 against Dayton (7-9), the Orange allowed four runs in the top of the seventh again.

Leading 7-6 with two outs and a runner on third on Sunday, head coach Shannon Doepking elected to leave in sophomore pitcher Sophie Dandola. Dandola had given up all six runs, just like against San Diego State. Yet this time, Doepking’s confidence in her pitcher paid off. Dandola forced a groundout to sophomore Gabby Teran as SU took the first game of the doubleheader by one run.

SU did most of its damage in the second inning behind a two run double from sophomore Michala Maciolek and a two-run triple from Teran. In the fifth, Maciolek came back with another two out double to stretch the lead to 7-1. Come the final inning, that proved to be enough.

Senior Alexa Romero pitched a scoreless four innings. She struck out nine batters and allowed only two hits. After throwing 53 pitches, Romero was relieved by Dandola in the fifth inning.

Syracuse couldn’t get off to a hot start in the second leg of the doubleheader against Colorado State (17-4). The Rams scored in the first inning with a two-run homer from senior Danni Klein. Come the third inning, the Orange were trailing by eight runs. Sophomore Miranda Hearn started and pitched the whole game. She conceded four earned runs, and she totaled five strikeouts. Her ERA rose to 7.11 with the loss. SU totaled two hits and only put five runners on base. Colorado State eventually won 8-0 after five innings.

Syracuse will be back in action on Wednesday, March 13 at Kentucky before beginning Atlantic Coast Conference play next weekend.