Syracuse requests review of lighting on I-690 following fatal crash

Dan Lyon | Assistant Photo Editor

There is currently no lighting on the stretch of Interstate 690 where a fatal crash involving Syracuse University basketball coach Jim Boeheim occurred last month.

The city of Syracuse is asking the New York State Department of Transportation to evaluate the lighting on a stretch of Interstate 690 where head coach Jim Boeheim struck and killed a man while driving along the highway Feb. 20.

Syracuse resident Jorge Jimenez, 51, died in the crash. Osvaldo Rivera-Olivo, 49, was also struck and injured.

“At the request of the City of Syracuse, the DOT will evaluate the need for additional lighting in the area,” said Greg Loh, director of city initiatives, in an email Tuesday.

Jimenez was traveling in a vehicle that lost control Feb. 20, swerved into a guardrail and landed in the middle of the interstate eastbound near Thompson Road, Syracuse Police Department Sgt. Matthew Malinowski said last month. The oncoming vehicle, driven by Boeheim, tried to avoid the car but hit Jimenez, who was standing on the side of the road, police said.

Lighting of that section of the interstate would be under the jurisdiction of NYSDOT, Loh said.

Speed does not appear to be a major factor in either crash, SPD Lt. David Brown previously said in an email to The Daily Orange. Police have also said that alcohol was not a factor in either crash.

There is currently no lighting on that stretch of I-690, where the crash occurred, Syracuse.com has reported.