From the Stage

E.T. is phoning home in Syracuse with a live orchestral performance

Conductor Sean O’Loughlin recalls his 10-year-old self sitting in front of a massive screen, watching “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial” with his family. His uncle joined them at the Rochester movie theater, spoiling the whole family with candy, soda and a large bucket of popcorn.  

When Elliot meets E.T. in the woods, and the famous alien screams as the flashlight shines on him, O’Loughlin’s uncle  while holding the popcorn  jumped and spilled it everywhere. 

“When that scene comes up in the movie, I immediately transport to that scene in my life where this massive bin of popcorn is snowing like a good, old central New York snowstorm,” O’Loughlin said. 

Now, O’Loughlin is the Principal Pops Conductor of the Victoria Symphony in Canada, as well as the Symphoria in Syracuse. O’Loughlin will honor the classic film back in Syracuse as part of an immersive film and live concert, produced by Symphoria, on March 23 in Crouse-Hinds Theater. 

e-t

Talia Trackim | Digital Design Director

O’Loughlin said the concert will offer audience members an experience that differs from watching the film. To him, the beauty of the live performance provides the organic nature and energy that watching the film on a screen at home doesn’t offer. 

One of the people who has helped bring the John Williams classic to Syracuse is Steven Linder — formerly of the Hollywood Bowl, known for producing works with Film Concerts Live! the company that organizes these performances. He and his partner Jamie Richardson have been putting on shows together since 2013.  

Linder said they are introducing or reintroducing films to their audiences with a large, communal experience which he can only describe as a once in a lifetime experience. 

“For a film like ‘E.T. the Extra Terrestrial,’ so many people have never seen it on a large screen. Linder said he thinks Spielberg would’ve wanted audiences to enjoy it in a communal space rather than how movies are seen today on a laptop.  

One of the challenges that most of these films have, including “E.T.,” is that these pieces were never meant to be performed live, both O’Loughlin and Richardson agreed. 

For O’Loughlin, these kinds of concerts require a significant amount of preparation. 

“It’s not just learning the music, it’s hitting the pacing of conducting the music to a click track,” O’Loughlin said. “You have to realize that when they recorded the music for the film originally, they did it in small chunks.” 

In addition to thinking about how they will execute the performance, Linder said a lot of thought goes into which shows they select. They aim to choose marketable shows that are compelling to both the audience and orchestra. The films that are selected can range anywhere from classic films like “E.T.” to more contemporary films like “Star Trek Beyond.” 

“It’s fun to have unique experiences like this with the movies,” O’Loughlin said. “We have so many more programs we are able to offer that do kind of transport you somewhere else for two hours. Whether it be your childhood or outer space or if you’re in a romantic mood, wherever you need to go.”