boeheim crash

DA: Both drivers in crash involving Jim Boeheim ‘technically’ speeding, but investigation concludes with no charges

Molly Gibbs | Photo Editor

Boeheim struck and killed a man along Interstate 690 on Feb. 20.

A detailed timeline of the Interstate 690 crash in which Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim struck and killed a man while driving revealed that both drivers involved were speeding at the time of the incident, but no charges will be filed.

On Feb. 20, Boeheim’s GMC Acadia fatally struck Jorge Jimenez, a man who had exited a vehicle after it spun out on the highway, blocking the entire center lane and most of the left lane of I-690. An investigation by the office of Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick closed Thursday morning, revealing that five seconds before each crash occurred, both cars were traveling at least 10 miles per hour above the speed limit of 55.

“While I recognize that, technically, charges of speeding could be filed against both Mr. Boeheim and Mr. Brinones, in light of the accident reconstruction report,” Fitzpatrick said. “I am exercising my discretion in declining to charge either party.”

The initial crash occurred at about 11:20 p.m, the report said. The driver of the vehicle Jimenez was in, Alberto Brinones, lost control of his Dodge Charger on I-690 that night. The report stated that the Charger was operating with “faulty” right front and right rear tires and “inadequate” tread. The other two tires would have “barely passed” New York state inspection, the report said.

Additionally, the driver and passenger rear marker lights, which are designed to give the vehicle side illumination, were found to have been “inoperable.” Brinones’ vehicle was harder to see by oncoming traffic, due to four percent light transmittance on each of the Charger’s windows, which is far below a New York state passing rate of 70 percent, according to the report.

Brinones traveled at 67 miles per hour five seconds before he lost control of his vehicle, and though there were “sporadic icy patches towards the far right lane” of the highway, an accident reconstructionist had no difficulty walking on the terrain, and the report stated that the initial crash was a result of the “loss of traction on the unsafe tires.” No prior accidents were reported in the area.

The first 911 call was made at 11:20:47 p.m., reporting a “dangerous situation of a vehicle that was ‘hard to see’ resting in the middle of the roadway on 690.” The report concluded one other car managed to evade the Charger before Boeheim struck and killed Jimenez. It’s unknown why there was a delay for Jimenez and the other passengers of the Charger to exit the vehicle, and all of the doors of the Charger were reported to be operating well.

At 11:22:30 p.m., a second call was received in which a woman, who wasn’t named in the report, said she swerved to the right of the disabled vehicle and “about ‘seven’ car lengths back” another vehicle — driven by Boeheim — swerved to the left side and was followed by an audible  “bang.”

Boeheim was traveling at 66 miles per hour five seconds before impact and 54 miles per hour after, with “evidence of braking before, during and after the accident.” Boeheim’s vehicle was found to be in good working condition prior to the accident and had four-wheel drive, per the report.

The head coach told authorities, according to the report: “As I passed Midler Ave. … before Thompson Road … (and) crested the hill … traveling down the center lane I observed a vehicle sitting sideways in the middle lane. … I could see the vehicle and there was no lights. …. I reacted and moved to the far left lane by the guardrail.”

Boeheim said to interviewing officers after the incident. “I know I would not be able to stop in time and made an effort to get as close to the guardrail to avoid striking the vehicle. As I get to the front of the vehicle, I observed what I believe is a person along the guardrail; there might have been more than one person. Then a split second later I hear a loud bang and I start coming to a stop …”

Boeheim reported the crash at 11:22:40 p.m. — as the third 911 caller — and shined his cell phone flashlight to warn other incoming drivers as other members of the vehicle Jimenez was in attended to Jimenez. Osvaldo Rivera-Olivo, who rode in the front passenger seat of the Charger prior to the crash, received non-life threatening injuries as a result of the crash, according to the report.

At 11:23:13 p.m., Mayra Quinones, who prior to the crash was in the rear seat behind the driver of the vehicle with Jimenez, made the final 911 call and “emotionally” reported “cars were sliding and one of them hit her friend.”

A review of the area found that there was inadequate lighting in the area of the crash, with “no road lights,” “no moonlight” and “no ambient lighting from nearby businesses.”

The report reiterated past police statements that there was “zero evidence that drugs or alcohol played a role in either accident.”

“Based on the totality of the circumstances surrounding this collision investigation, Boeheim’s operation of his motor vehicle was not reckless, unreasonable or with gross negligence, and no crimes were committed,” the report said.

A funeral for Jimenez was held last Thursday. Funds for the funeral were provided by A. Dewitt Memorial Funeral Home & Cremation Services. A GoFundMe started by Jimenez’ son, Brian Hernandez, raised nearly $13,000 for the funeral services, but will now be used to “help my brothers with their expenses for attention with psychiatrists, counselors, school and so they can have comfort & be taken care of during the grieving process,” Hernandez said in a Facebook post on Feb. 26.

Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh has asked for a review of the lighting where the crash occurred, which is under the jurisdiction of the New York State Department of Transportation.

The district attorney’s report stated that the office has “answered all (the Jimenez family’s) questions and have been completely transparent with them.”

“My office will share all reports and findings with the Jimenez family, and I echo Chief (Kenton) Buckner’s sentiments that this was a tragic loss of life,” Fitzpatrick said in a news release containing the report. “My condolences are extended to this family for the loss of their companion, father and friend.”