Food column

Caffeinated drinks can improve health, brain function

Many of us drink coffee, tea or some other form of caffeinated beverage to get going every day. With March being National Caffeine Awareness Month, here are some health benefits associated with drinking caffeine, as well as some cool alternatives to replace your morning cup of joe.

Coffee is one of the most popular caffeinated drinks in the United States — and it’s good for you, too. Coffee has been shown to possibly lower one’s risk for heart disease, improve long-term memory, lower the risk of type 2 diabetes and prevent dementia. In another study of more than 50,000 women in the U.S., it was found that caffeinated coffee could be linked to a reduced risk of depression.

These facts may come as a surprise to some people, as caffeine is often seen as being bad for you. But most agree that the only downsides are the fact that caffeine can negatively affect sleep if ingested too late in the day, and is a bad choice if you are pregnant. If you want to make sure to get the most out of your coffee, don’t add too much cream or sugar.

Tea, another popular drink and my personal favorite, also boasts plenty of health benefits to consider.

One of tea’s most significant health benefits is that it has been found to reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes. Tea is also good for your immune system and may help prevent you from getting sick. Different types of tea also offer different health benefits. Green tea has been found to burn fat and prevent neurological disorders, while black tea has been found to possibly reduce damage from smoking cigarettes. White tea has even been found to have properties which may prevent cancer.

In general, caffeine may be addictive with some side effects, such as headaches when you suddenly cut it out of your daily routine. But it can improve memory, give you energy, and improve brain functioning. With that in mind, if you don’t like coffee or tea, here are some other cool caffeinated products to try instead.

pulp2

Susie Teuscher | Digital Design Editor

Water Joe

Water Joe is caffeinated water. Really, that’s it. According to its website, the drink has about 70 mg of caffeine per 20 oz bottle, which is similar to a cup of coffee. So, if you don’t like the taste of coffee or tea, or maybe you want to stay hydrated and not worry about the unhealthy additives in energy drinks, then give this brand a shot.

Power Toothpaste

Power Toothpaste is the first caffeinated toothpaste, and aims to replace your morning coffee while cleaning your teeth. When I first heard about this I was skeptical, but those who tried it at Vice and The Guardian claim that the toothpaste actually works. I’m still a little wary of it, but if you want to give it a shot, then go ahead. The website claims that one time brushing with the toothpaste contains about the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee, so don’t use it before going to sleep.

Get Up and Go

If you just want an excuse to eat cookies for breakfast, then here is your chance. Get Up and Go offers a variety of caffeinated products, but its most popular are chocolate chip, double chocolate and snickerdoodle cookies. Each cookie contains the equivalent of two cups of coffee, so they definitely pack a punch. Just be careful to not eat too many.

If none of these float your boat, here are more companies advertising new products like caffeinated shaving cream, shampoos and even body sprays. So go ahead and give those a try — but be warned, not all of them will work.

No matter what product you use, go ahead and enjoy a guilt-free Caffeine Awareness Month now that you know the potential benefits of caffeine.