Liberal Column

Stop asking Gillibrand the Al Franken question

Audra Linsner | Assistant Illustration Editor

New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand’s (D) presidential campaign has been bogged down by her 2018 calls for then-senator Al Franken to resign due to sexual misconduct allegations.

The early days of New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand’s (D) presidential campaign have been bogged down by a scandal that doesn’t warrant criticism.

About a year ago, Gillibrand led the charge in calling for Al Franken, a then-senator, to resign due to sexual misconduct allegations.

Gillibrand should not have to answer the “Al Franken question” while running for president. Ask Gillibrand about her views on sexual assault and what she has done to combat that issue, but don’t blame her for being the first person to call out a colleague who abused his power.

It’s become a defining moment for her. The shadow of Franken has hung over the early days of Gillibrand’s campaign, and she has been asked to answer questions related to the incident multiple times.

“Because she was the first Democratic senator to do so, media outlets and political observers have recognized that action as a defining moment of her time in the U.S. Senate, especially since she has a long record of supporting women’s rights and combating gender inequality,” Kyle Kopko, associate professor of political science at Elizabethtown College, said in an email.

Top Democrats believed that Franken was a powerful force in the era of President Donald Trump, and Gillibrand’s call for him resignation mean’s she’s opportunistic, and willing to betray a friend for political gain.

While some have argued this move hurt her, Gillibrand still stands by it today. Gillibrand’s decision wasn’t based on political gain. It was seemingly meant to show people that sexual misconduct can’t be accepted anywhere — especially in Washington, D.C.

In the days since Franken officially resigned, Gillibrand has faced more damage than he has. According to reports, a number of top Democratic donors pledged to stop donating to and fundraising for Gillibrand’s campaign in future elections.

“The ability to raise money is closely associated with one’s ability to garner a wide base of support and, ultimately, achieve electoral success,” Kopko said.

Clearly, donors are incredibly important and influential in the success of political campaigns. And yes, Gillibrand was the first Democratic lawmaker to call for Fraken’s resignation. But, she was not the only one to call for his resignation. In fact, she isn’t even the only declared 2020 presidential candidate who called for his resignation.

If there’s one thing Gillibrand has been consistent in throughout her career, it’s the idea that men who use power to harm women must have that power taken away. She shouldn’t be ostracized because of that.

Nick Turner is a senior political science and policy studies major. His column appears biweekly. He can be reached at [email protected].

LEARN MORE: