STUDENT ASSOCIATION

SA proposes amendment to Judicial Review Board’s role

Elizabeth Billman | Staff Photographer

SA debated the impacts that the proposed Judicial Review Board amendment would have on the power balance of the association.

Syracuse University’s Student Association discussed a proposed bill to expand the powers of the group’s Judicial Review Board at its Monday meeting.

The bill would allow the JRB to take on cases without a referral, said Ryan Golden, SA’s Academic Affairs Committee chair, who proposed the bill. Currently, the JRB can only review cases that are referred to it by certain members of SA, he said.

Golden said that the current system is unethical because it consists of “friends being asked to refer friends.”

JRB Chair Vishwas Paul supported the proposal. Paul said that he has seen issues that were not taken on by the JRB because the cases were never referred to him.

Some assembly members voiced concerns that the bill would shift too much power toward the JRB and away from other branches of the association.

Golden said the legislation would only allow the JRB to create cases, advise bill writing and curate official documents.

“I think that the role of the Judicial Review Board does need to be revised,” said SA Vice President Kyle Rosenblum. “I think there are parts of the (proposed bill) that are good and parts of it that need to be expanded on, but I just think that overall it needs to be looked at in more detail before its solidified.”

SA President Ghufran Salih said the JRB has not been as developed as other SA priorities such as legislation and event planning. She said the JRB committee can provide valuable input on the proposed legislation in upcoming meetings.

Other Business

Salih and Rosenblum announced that tickets for the men’s basketball Syracuse-Duke game on Feb. 23 will be distributed during halftime of the women’s basketball game on Feb. 21.

Salih and Rosenblum said they will meet with SU Vice President and Chief Facilities Operator Pete Sala to express concerns about the accessibility and temperature control of Crouse College. They said they were worried that students in the building suffer in intense summer heat, and it does not allow a creative space for music students.

Representative Josh Shub-Seltzer, who is also a photographer for The Daily Orange, proposed a resolution to condemn the university for not cancelling classes during the below-zero temperatures last week. The resolution calls on SU to retroactively excuse absences for those who did not attend class in the bitter weather.

Committee and cabinet updates will now take place at the beginning of each SA meeting, said Speaker of the Assembly Will Pritchett. Each committee is expected to keep the rest of the association updated on events and initiatives it is working on, Pritchett said. The updates are also intended to inform SA members of upcoming events to attend, he said.