Ackerman Avenue Assault

SA to discuss assault on Ackerman Avenue during Monday Assembly meeting

Kai Nguyen | Staff Photographer

The assault occurred in the 800 block of Ackerman Avenue early Saturday morning.

Syracuse University’s Student Association on Monday night will discuss a reported assault that occurred Saturday morning in the 800 block of Ackerman Avenue.

The meeting will take place at 7:30 p.m. Monday in 032 Eggers Hall at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Vice President Kyle Rosenblum confirmed in a text message to The Daily Orange.

A statement circulated on social media among SU students Monday accusing campus and city police of mishandling the assault.

Student Association President Ghufran Salih told The Daily Orange on Monday afternoon she had seen the statement, signed by “Your Fellow Students,” and is trying to put Department of Public Safety Chief Bobby Maldonado in contact with victims of the assault.

In the statement, students said four white people — three men and one woman — entered a “birthday gathering” at a house in the 800 block of Ackerman Avenue on Saturday. One of the men yelled, “What’s up n**ger” at a student of color, according to the statement written by students. The white woman then repeatedly struck three students of color in the head with a pistol, the statement says.

The students’ statement says that the woman threatened to shoot the students, and left the 800 block of Ackerman Avenue with the three men.

“There’s a lot of discrepancies that students have been concerned about in the student statement versus the DPS statement,” Salih said.

An email sent Saturday by DPS shortly after the assault said there was one woman assailant, and did not not specify the race of the suspect. Maldonado on Monday said DPS doesn’t release a suspect’s race due to previous concerns from the campus community about racial profiling.

SPD released a statement Monday just after 4:30 p.m. saying one white man and one white woman attacked three men along Ackerman Avenue on Saturday. SPD’s statement did not identify the race of the victims.