Boeheim Crash

Chancellor Kent Syverud ‘deeply saddened’ by fatal crash involving Jim Boeheim

Jessica Sheldon | Staff Photographer

Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim struck and killed a man late Wednesday night along Interstate 690.

Chancellor Kent Syverud on Thursday in a statement said he’s “deeply saddened” after Syracuse men’s basketball head coach Jim Boeheim struck and killed a man late Wednesday night along Interstate 690.

Syverud’s statement reads, in full:

Like all of you, I am deeply saddened by the news that a member of our Central New York community was tragically killed in an accident last night involving Coach Jim Boeheim. Coach Boeheim is understandably heartbroken by the loss of life. On behalf of our entire Syracuse University family, Dr. Ruth Chen and I extend our deepest condolences to the Jimenez family and all those grieving this terrible loss.”

The Syracuse Police Department identified the crash victim Thursday morning as 51-year-old Jorge Jimenez of Syracuse, according to SPD Sgt. Matthew Malinowski. On Wednesday night, Jimenez was in a vehicle that had lost control, swerved into a divider and ended up in the middle of I-690 eastbound near Thompson Road in Syracuse, the spokesman said. The oncoming vehicle, driven by Boeheim, then tried to avoid the car but hit Jimenez, who was standing on the side of the road, police said.

All people involved, including Boeheim, remained on the scene and cooperated with SPD, according to police. SPD Detective George Hack, a spokesman for the department, told The Daily Orange on Thursday that nobody involved in the crash will be charged, at this time.

Syracuse defeated No. 18 Louisville, 69-49, on Wednesday night. The game ended just before 9 p.m. Boeheim’s press conference following the game ended at about 9:20 p.m., and Boeheim was in the locker room by 9:30 p.m. for player interviews.