Beat writers predict Syracuse men’s lacrosse season record, MVP and X-Factor

Josh Shub-Seltzer | Staff Photographer

Syracuse players converge in last year's matchup with Colgate.

No. 10 Syracuse features three preseason All-ACC selections and looks to move past its first round NCAA tournament upset loss against Cornell from last May. The Orange return most of their major contributors as men’s lacrosse introduces an 80-second shot clock in the 2019 campaign. SU will kicks off its 12-game slate — which features eight ranked opponents — against Colgate on Feb. 8 in the Carrier Dome

Here’s how our beat writers expect the season to go.

Nick Alvarez
Holding pattern
Record: 9-3
MVP: Nick Mellen
X-factor: Danny Varello

Syracuse isn’t losing much from a team that won eight games in 2018. Drake Porter will be a new face in net, but the returning backline is anchored by Marcus Cunningham and Nick Mellen. Stephen Rehfuss and Nate Solomon should also only improve as upperclassmen. Yet, SU won six one-goal games a year ago and was blown out in two others, which makes the team’s talent level hard to gauge. Returning FOGO Danny Varello posted a 48.0 percent faceoff rate last year, a number that has to improve even with the new shot clock rule increasing offense and limiting time-wasting. SU is a storied program, and there are pieces in place for a deep NCAA tournament run. But, with no clear offensive additions, the more likely option will occur, and Syracuse will fizzle out and make another early-round exit.

Andrew Graham
Much of the same
Record: 9-3
MVP: Nick Mellen
X-factor: Drake Porter

Not a single senior on Syracuse’s roster has been to a final four. It’s been 10 years since the program has won a national title. 2018 was yet another lean year for the Orange, getting bounced in the first round of the NCAA tournament at home against Cornell. 2019 has the makings of being better. Outside of Brendan Bomberry, the only other starter from 2018 the Orange have to replace is goalie Dom Madonna. Drake Porter seems poised to slide into that role and there are options available to fill in for Bomberry. Danny Varello struggled at the faceoff X last season, but spent the offseason sharpening his clamp and regardless. The newest addition to college lacrosse — the shot clock — will keep position flow and put more honus on Porter and the entirely returning defense to carry the load. What will ultimately sink Syracuse in the NCAA tournament though is its apparent lack of a takeover scorer. There’s talent, but to make it to championship weekend, they’ll likely need someone to emerge.

Michael McCleary
Thank you, next
Record: 9-3
MVP: Stephen Rehfuss
X-factor: The third attack

Syracuse’s 2018 wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great either. The Orange, who’d advanced past the first round of the NCAA tournament in all but their debut year since it joined the ACC in 2014, failed to reach that mark for the second time last season. Last year’s regular season showed a lot of promise that suggested a possible run in the tournament, and a lot of those people are still there. Nick Mellen can match up against almost any attack in the country. Stephen Rehfuss has the looks of a top attack option. Tucker Dordevic will remain a dangerous presence from the midfield. The question marks remain in the third member of the first attack line and at goalkeeper, but Drake Porter’s looks solid in the net and Bradley Voigt, Owen Seebold and Griffin Cook all look like capable contributors to SU’s offense. There’s no reason to believe that the Orange will rapidly ascend this year, but they may be in a similar position they were last year: with an opportunity to extend its NCAA tournament run another weekend.