CITY

Susan Boyle to leave Syracuse Common Council, take county job

Dakota Palmer | Staff Writer

Boyle (second from left) was first elected to Syracuse’s Common Council in 2015.

Syracuse Councilor Susan Boyle, of the 3rd district, will leave the Common Council this month to work with Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon, according to Syracuse.com.

Boyle will serve as administrative planning and funding coordinator in the county’s community development division, Syracuse.com reported. Her terms ends in December, but she will resign after the Feb. 4 council meeting, according to Syracuse.com.

The Onondaga County Community Development Division assists low and moderate-income residents by revitalizing neighborhoods and providing community facilities. Boyle told Syracuse.com she wants to tackle issues like lead paint poisoning and poverty in her new role, which she starts on Jan. 22.

Boyle was first elected to the council in 2015 and was re-elected in 2017. She told Syracuse.com that McMahon was a councilor when Boyle ran the Strathmore Neighborhood Association, and she has worked with McMahon on many projects.

Boyle’s resignation will create a vacancy on the council. This will be the second time councilors have to fill a vacancy — Michael Greene was chosen last January to fill Helen Hudson’s vacant councilor at-large seat. The person appointed to fill Boyle’s seat must run for election in November if they want to remain on the council.

Boyle’s salary will be $64,324, according to Syracuse.com.