on campus

SU finds ombuds head after months-long search

Courtesy of SU News

Powless previously served as assistant director of the Native Student Program in the Office of Multicultural Affairs.

Syracuse University hired a permanent director of the Office of the University Ombuds, according to a Friday SU News release.

Neal Powless, a doctoral candidate in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, will head the department after a months-long search for a permanent director, per the release. The university ombuds acts as a “neutral, independent and confidential resource” for faculty, staff and graduate students to address their concerns, per the release.

The Office of University Ombuds was established last February as a result of recommendations from the University Senate Committee on Women’s Concerns and the Chancellor’s Workgroup on Diversity and Inclusion, per the release. Samuel Clemence, the office’s former interim director, said in December that the office had received more than 60 cases since February 2018.

Powless, a member of the Onondaga Nation Eel Clan, previously served as assistant director of SU’s Native Student Program in the Office of Multicultural Affairs, per the release. He has also worked as a career counselor at the Center for Career Services, according to the release. Powless starts his new position on Tuesday.

His research focuses on Indigenous imagery in contemporary film, according to the release. He holds a master’s degree in counseling from SU and a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Nazareth College in Rochester, per the release. He is a Nationally Certified Counselor, per the release.

Powless and his wife Michelle Schenandoah started Indigenous Concepts Consulting, a firm that helps incorporate Indigenous perspectives into business and media thinking, according to the release.