Graduate Student Organization

GSO to conduct 2nd survey of graduate student income

TJ Shaw | Staff Photographer

The GSO conducted a preliminary study in the fall 2018 semester.

Syracuse University’s Graduate Student Organization will hold an open meeting to develop an employment survey for graduate students.

It’s unclear whether GSO’s Employment Issues Committee plans to bring survey data on employee wages to Chancellor Kent Syverud. At meetings last semester, the GSO Senate discussed bringing a report on graduate student employees’ income to the chancellor, but no decision has been made.

At the GSO’s Wednesday meeting, the Employment Issues Committee considered inviting organizers from Syracuse Graduate Employees United to view data from the survey and help contribute to actions moving forward. SGEU is a group of SU graduate student employees trying to form a union.

Some GSO senators raised concerns about SGEU breaking confidentiality of the surveyed students’ information. GSO voted to exclude SGEU from having access to the survey.

The Employment Issues Committee drafted a survey in spring 2018 to better understand employment experiences and opportunities available to graduate students.

Other business

Saeed Fadaeimanesh was elected GSO Senator to fill the vacant spot in the University Senate. Certain GSO Senators participate and vote in both the GSO Senate and university’s Senate, the SU’s academic governing body. Senators were conflicted over whether to elect Fadaeimanesh.

He told senators he did not know about the issue of graduate student wages, and he was unable to answer a question about two of his most important values. Fadaeimanesh also told senators he has a class scheduled for the time when he would have to attend SU’s Senate meetings.

The Senate elected Fadaeimanesh on a 15-13 vote.

Christopher Burke, director of Student Legal Services, spoke to GSO to announce he wanted to discuss organizing changes to how SU allows legal representation for students accused of campus disciplinary issues.

Attorneys hired by students are currently unable to participate in the legal procedure in front of the University Conduct Board, presenting a challenge for accused students to be fairly represented, Burke said.