Liberal Column

Gov. Andrew Cuomo needs to focus on New York state

Although Cuomo has stated that he won’t run for president in 2020, he needs to do more to show New York residents he is prioritizing state politics.

The governor of New York has arguably always had a strong national presence, and Gov. Andrew Cuomo is no different. But, in the midst of what could be his finest moment as governor of New York, Cuomo needs to keep his focus on New York state.

Governor Cuomo has adopted a progressive ideology heading into his third term. A voting reform bill has been introduced that would significantly modernize the New York voting process, and marijuana is set to be legalized for recreational use.

Cuomo is coming up on a major year in his tenure as New York governor. A successful implementation of his agenda would modernize New York state and allow one of the most populated states in the country to be a leader on the national stage.

Although Cuomo has stated that he won’t run for president in 2020, rumors still persist. He has maintained a strong, national presence since the most recent election. Cuomo needs to do more to show New York residents he is prioritizing state politics.

Regardless of his public denial of a presidential run, his actions may detract from that message. Cuomo has displayed the actions of a politician who is preparing to take on Donald Trump and run for president. Cuomo issued his own response to President Trump’s Oval Office address concerning the government shutdown. And, he pardoned 22 immigrants as a rebuke to Trump’s immigration policies.

Jacob Neiheisel, associate professor of political science at the University at Buffalo, says this may just be to prepare for a potential national election in the future.

“I’m not sure he currently has national political ambitions, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to be a known quantity when, and if, that day should come,” Neiheisel said.

Cuomo does have the right — and support — to prepare a future as a national leader. A 2017 Quinnipiac University poll showed that 54 percent of New Yorkers think Governor Cuomo “should be a national leader challenging the policies of the Trump administration,” while 55 percent of New Yorkers think him doing so would be good for the state.

But, rumors of future political aspirations for Andrew Cuomo could lead to wavering support in New York state. Voters don’t like to hear that the person they voted for is considering leaving their office to pursue greener pastures.

By creating change in his own state as opposed to trying to be a national voice, Gov. Cuomo can ease the tension of his own future aspirations and make New York a shining light for the rest of the country.

Nick Turner is a senior political science and policy studies major. His column appears weekly. He can be reached at [email protected].