Beat writers predict Syracuse to outlast Clemson in the Carrier Dome

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Oshae Brissett, pictured against then-No. 18 Clemson last year, played 38 minutes in SU's final regular season game of the season.

Syracuse (10-4, 1-0 Atlantic Coast) continues conference play on Wednesday in the Carrier Dome against Clemson (10-4, 0-1). The Orange closed out the nonconference portion of the schedule with wins over Arkansas State and St. Bonaventure before topping Notre Dame in South Bend on Jan. 5. The Tigers started their conference slate falling to No. 1 Duke, while SU looks to build momentum in winnable games.

Here’s what our beat writers think will happen Wednesday night.

Billy Heyen (12-2)
Too much orange
Syracuse 72, Clemson 67

The one concern for Syracuse should be that the two Clemson players who scored in double figures last year in the Dome, Marcquise Reed and Elijah Thomas, are both back to try to do it again. But the Orange showed at Notre Dame that they can overcome two effective opposing players with defensive adjustments and their own shot-making. Expect that to continue against an aggressive Tigers’ man-to-man defense to send the Orange crowd home happy on Wednesday night.

Charlie DiSturco (11-3)
Paper Tiger
Syracuse 68, Clemson 62

A strong performance on the road against Notre Dame showed just how good this Syracuse offense can be. The Orange have an opportunity to keep the ball rolling against Clemson on Wednesday, part of a two-game home stretch before traveling to Duke. Clemson is one of the worst teams at guarding the 3 ball, allowing opponents to shoot 37.6 percent from deep, or 308th in the country, per Kenpom.com. Clemson also doesn’t have a win against a team inside Kenpom’s top-60 teams. Expect Elijah Hughes and the rest of the Syracuse offense to keep the momentum going while the Tigers drop its second-straight game to open ACC play.

Matthew Gutierrez (10-4)
Two football schools!
Syracuse 70, Clemson 64

I think we’re on the cusp of a Syracuse breakthrough, one where they become at least remotely as potent as we expected they’d be this season. Beating Clemson on Wednesday and Georgia Tech on Saturday is a must if SU is going to make the NCAA Tournament. A win over the Tigers should put the Orange on track to begin ACC play 5-1 — the one loss being at No. 1 Duke — and in strong position to gain momentum for the final two-thirds of league play. Syracuse gets it done on the hardwood against another football school.