Beat writers predict a close game in Syracuse’s matchup with Pittsburgh

Todd Michalek | Staff Photographer

Oshae Brissett went 4-fot-16 in Syracuse's matchup against Pitt last year.

Syracuse (12-5, 3-1 Atlantic Coast) is coming off an overtime upset at No. 1 Duke. Pittsburgh (12-5, 2-2) just upset No. 11 Florida State by double-digit points. When the Orange and Panthers meet on Saturday afternoon in the Carrier Dome, both teams will be riding a high from major wins. Pitt has been a surprise in its first year under former Duke assistant Jeff Capel, and the Orange will look to start a winning streak.

Here’s what our beat writers think will happen on Saturday after the 2 p.m. tip-off.

Billy Heyen (13-4)
Beware the Pitt
Syracuse 75, Pittsburgh 69

For a program that looked in disarray such a short time ago, Pittsburgh has made itself into a team Syracuse can’t look past. A win over No. 11 Florida State at the same time SU was upsetting No. 1 Duke set this up as a matchup of two teams feeling really good about themselves. The Panthers play some zone, which the Orange haven’t always solved this season, but with Tyus Battle and Elijah Hughes making shots of late, that should be enough.

Charlie DiSturco (12-5)
Pitt stop
Syracuse 67, Pittsburgh 65

This game is eerily similar to Syracuse’s matchup against Georgia Tech a week ago. Two really solid defensive teams that defend the 3 well. Both teams are coming off huge upset wins and will carry that momentum into Saturday night. The Orange will continue to shoot 3s, which will keep this game extremely close down the stretch. Pittsburgh has been playing extremely well of late, but have yet to win an away game. That’ll remain true on Saturday when the Panthers return to the road inside the Carrier Dome.

Matthew Gutierrez (11-6)
Orange Panther
Syracuse 68, Pittsburgh 66

Kudos to former Duke coach and now first-year Pitt head coach Jeff Capel for what’s playing out as a solid turnaround. Optimism is all over the Panthers program, especially after Monday’s upset over FSU. Their guard play has been phenomenal. The thing is, Syracuse’s strength also is guard play. Give the edge to SU, which should pick up its fourth conference victory.