From the Stage

The Baldwinsville Theatre Guild kicks off 77th anniversary with ‘Spelling Bee’ musical

The Baldwinsville Theatre Guild has kicked off its new season, its 77th year in community theater, with the winter musical, “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.” The production, held at the Presbyterian Education Center in Baldwinsville, runs through Feb. 2.

The story revolves around six students, all played by adults, competing to win their middle school spelling bee. Willow Eckel, the show’s producer, said that audiences of all ages and backgrounds can relate to the awkwardness of growing up that’s showcased in the musical’s script.

“There are moments when the audience will feel the embarrassment twisting in their stomachs while they laugh at it during the exact same moment,” Eckel said. “There will also be moments when the audience will recognize the inner turmoil of the characters and completely connect with them.”

Colin Keating, the theater’s artistic director, said that each middle school student endures cringey moments that not only young audience members will relate to, but adults as well. He added that the show’s liveliness is a nice pick-me-up during Syracuse’s snowy winter season.

“Here we are in the winter months where we, in this part of the country particularly, experience life being kind of glum and grey and cold,” Keating said. “I think that the show is the right kind of entertainment in that setting because it’s fast-paced, bright, fun and it’s light-hearted.”

Keating plans to feature celebrities from the Syracuse area as guest spellers at each performance, including Brandon Roth from, “Today in Central New York” and DJ Ted Long from 93Q’s morning show, “Ted & Amy in the Morning.”

Korrie Taylor, the producing director and a member of BTG since 2007, said the cast and crew include both theater veterans and newbies to both BTG’s theater and acting in general. Taylor said that the theater group prides itself on having a community spirit and maintaining a welcoming atmosphere for those interested in experiencing theater.

“Whenever we do a show, it is done with a lot of love and passion,” Taylor said. “I think that people who work with BTG feel that it really is a family, one which continues to grow.”

Along with the cast’s own strong bonds, a few members said they have also connected deeply with their characters. Eckel recognized this and said she has enjoyed watching the rehearsals because of the way the cast has fallen into their respective characters.

Each performer captures the defining qualities of their characters, Eckel said, such as how shy and timid Olive is compared to how overly confident Chip is.

“The cast truly knows their characters and it is easily recognizable in all of their facial expressions,” Eckel said.

The dedicated crew and nine-person cast has helped BTG create a show for the community from good times and shared laughter, Keating said. He said the ensemble is looking forward to sharing the same atmosphere the group has established during rehearsals.

Taylor said there are many people in the Syracuse area who don’t know who and what BTG is, and has made it her goal to bring more attention back to the group.

“I think that sometimes the name ‘community theater’ gets a stigma for being less than quality, but patrons who come to our shows are constantly amazed at what we can do in the small space that we have,” Taylor said.

Tickets general admission are $28 and $24 for seniors and students.