Syracuse searches for a ‘quarterback’ on 1st road trip

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

Jalen Carey dribbles the ball at the top of the key.

Recently, Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim keeps circling back to one thing: The Orange doesn’t have a “quarterback.”

SU’s first road trip of the season will likely be without an experienced floor general, which Boeheim said is as important as a football team’s signal-caller. Without one, a team cannot reach its potential.

“We’re good enough to win these games,” Boeheim said. “But this isn’t basketball, what we’re doing right now.”

Against Eastern Washington, the lack of a point guard resulted in offensive struggles and less ball movement — SU had as many assists as the Eagles (11), despite EWU only having 13 baskets to the Orange’s 24. And against Morehead State, turnovers plagued SU at times, and the offense was unable to break defensive pressure.

For the majority of offensive possessions this season, junior Tyus Battle has run the point because Syracuse’s usual starter, Frank Howard, is still sidelined with an injury. His timetable is unclear and is a game-time decision for Thursday’s matchup against Connecticut (2-0), SU director of athletic communications Pete Moore confirmed. Meanwhile, the No. 15 Orange’s (2-0) backup freshman point guard Jalen Carey has yet to fully recover from a left ankle sprain he sustained a month ago.

The team’s third-string point guard, sophomore Howard Washington, has barely seen the floor — he’s played seven minutes thus far — after returning from ACL surgery less than a year ago. SU eased by weaker teams such as Eastern Washington and Morehead State, but come Thursday against Connecticut at Madison Square Garden, mistakes at the point guard position could be amplified.

“One big thing that hurts Jalen is he hasn’t been able to practice,” Boeheim said on Saturday, after SU’s win over MSU. “Freshman, you’re playing against a fast guard, you need to have those practices. He just wasn’t prepared for that kind of defensive effort.”

Carey’s first college appearance came in Syracuse’s season opener after not playing in either scrimmage. He played 18 minutes, shooting 33 percent from the floor and finishing with seven points and six rebounds.

After his debut, Carey said his ankle was not 100 percent. Four days later against Morehead State, Carey faced pressure he hadn’t seen before. Sometimes he was pressed as soon as he touched the ball. Other times, he was picked up at half court. In 15 minutes, he failed to make a shot and turned the ball over a team-worst four times in the win.

pointless

Laura Angle | Digital Design Editor

Carey said he expects to be 100 percent against UConn, something Syracuse will need for its offense to keep improving.

With no true point guard, the offensive ball movement struggles and players like Oshae Brissett, Elijah Hughes and Battle are forced to score by driving 1-on-1 in the paint, rather than creating open shots. Despite its struggles, SU downed Morehead State by 14.

UConn poses an even bigger test, especially on the defensive end. The Huskies rank 48th among Division I teams in turnover percentage on defense, according to Kenpom.com, compared to Morehead State’s No. 195 ranking.

“Jalen is still learning, getting to 100 but that’s a freshman coming to the league,” Brissett said. “it’s only going to get tougher … They (UConn) were picking up Frank full court (last year).”

Syracuse won last year’s battle at the Garden, 72-63, but Howard shot 1-for-10 from the field and turned the ball over nine times. He was then a junior with experience, not a freshman in his third-ever competitive collegiate game like Carey. Howard said after the game that Huskies guard Jalen Adams, who’ll play Thursday night, gave him fits.

Carey will see more pressure Thursday, and turnovers could be the deciding factor in a win or upset loss. Syracuse failed to pull away from Morehead State until late, partially because of its 11 first-half turnovers.

SU could beat lesser teams without perfect games. UConn is different.

“I just wanted to get back in the rhythm of things with the guys,” Carey said after SU’s season-opening win on Nov. 6. “So once we play teams like UConn and stuff like that, I won’t be out of place.”

Having a healthy point guard, one that is reliable and can facilitate, is crucial as regular-season competition becomes increasingly difficult. Under the national spotlight, with SU playing two road games at MSG, Carey needs to be at his best.

If Carey breaks through the pressure, the Orange can push tempo and take control. A fast-paced offense suits Carey’s game.

“More up-tempo,” Carey said. “I just get it out.”

Like a quarterback.