Ice Hockey

Syracuse losing streak extends to 4 with 4-0 loss to St. Lawrence

Ally Walsh | Staff Photographer

Lauren Bellefontaine, pictured earlier this season, and Syracuse lost to No. 8 St. Lawrence on Saturday.

Syracuse’s losing streak extended to four games on Saturday night, as the Orange lost, 4-0, to No. 8 St. Lawrence (9-6-1, 4-0-0 Eastern College Athletic) in the WindJammer Classic consolation game.

The 4-0 loss represented the second-straight night that SU (4-10-1, 4-3-0 College Hockey America) was shut out. The Orange lost 2-0 to Vermont yesterday on the first night of the WindJammer Classic.

SU goalie Maddi Welch made 26 saves but struggled in the second period, in which she allowed all four St. Lawrence goals. The Saints scored all four of their goals in the span of 10 minutes, and they all came on even strength.

Though Syracuse has previously struggled on faceoffs, SU had the advantage in that facet, 34 to 22. The Orange were outshot 20 to 30 in the loss.

Right wing Anonda Hoppner recorded a team-high five shots. The junior leads the Orange in shots with 46 in 15 games.

Syracuse’s leading goal-scorer Emma Polaski did not register a shot in the game and was on the ice for three of St. Lawrence’s four goals.

Syracuse is now 0-7-1 against out of conference opponents and 0-5 versus top-10 foes. The Orange will get a chance to remedy that on Dec. 1 when they travel to Madison, Wisconsin for two games against No. 1 Wisconsin.