High School Football

Syracuse basketball commit Joe Girard III leads Glens Falls to Class B football state title

Billy Heyen | Asst. Sports Editor

Joe Girard III, Syracuse basketball signee, led his Glens Falls football team into the Carrier Dome Saturday.

Two years ago, Joe Girard III led Glens Falls to a New York state football title in the Carrier Dome. That was before he’d decided for sure he’d play basketball in college. That was before he narrowed down his list of schools and held a college-decision announcement at a hotel in his hometown, for anyone who wanted to attend. That was before he chose to “stay home” and play basketball at Syracuse.

Saturday, Girard did it again. He became a two-time state champion as a quarterback, and he did it in the same building he’ll play basketball in beginning next fall. With SU head basketball coach Jim Boeheim and assistant coach Gerry McNamara in attendance, Girard proved himself comfortable at “home” ahead of schedule.

“I wanted to show them that I could compete and next year I’ll be a competitor as well,” Girard said of playing in front of his future coaches. “This time was on the gridiron, and I’m a state champion.”

img-4609

Billy Heyen | Asst. Sports Editor

Glens Falls (11-2) and Girard took home the New York state Class B title on Saturday, beating Batavia (12-1), 55-32, in the Carrier Dome. Girard, New York’s all-time leading basketball scorer, threw for two touchdowns and added two more on the ground. In the last high school football game of his career, and a year before he suits up for Syracuse basketball, Girard won a second football state title in the Dome.

“Ever since I committed to Syracuse midseason, I was determined to get back here,” Girard said. “And when we got here and made it, I was determined to win.”

The Indians didn’t get off to a dream start. Batavia scored, forced a three-and-out, scored and recovered an onside kick. Girard and Glens Falls trailed 14-0 and had compiled negative-one yard. But when Batavia’s star, Ray Leach, threw a deep ball, Girard settled underneath it, leaped and picked it off.

“They were killing us in the beginning,” Girard said. “We weren’t wrapping up, we weren’t doing what we were supposed to do. When I got the interception, it was just kind of a little bit of a momentum swing.”

After two incompletions to start the next series, Girard rolled left, turned back right and unleashed a deep ball to David Barclay, who wasn’t tackled until he’d gained 60 yards on the play. The drive was capped by a weaving run from Girard, who drifted all the way back to the 28-yard line before kicking it into gear and completing a four-yard touchdown run down the left sideline.

Then, after a stop, Girard completed two passes before Glens Falls faced a third down three plays later. The quarterback did his scramble-drill routine again, eventually finding space, juking multiple Batavia defenders and being pushed out at the one-yard line. He appeared to hit the pylon with the football on his dive attempt at the end of the play, but was called down.

“Sometimes you cringe when he starts backpedaling and he rolls out, and you’re like, ‘Oh, throw it quick Joe,’” Glens Falls head coach Pat Lilac said. “… We gave him the keys.

“And even coming into this game, I did have a little, ‘Is he gonna try to do too much on this big stage?’ Forget it. Joe will be Joe, let him go.”

Aalijah Sampson pounded it in on the next play, and a two-point conversion by Sampson tied the game.

Leach ran for an 83-yard score to give the Blue Devils the lead back, but then a Girard screen pass for 37 yards to Sampson sparked a four-play touchdown drive for the Indians to answer and head to halftime up, 21-20.

It was all Glens Falls to open the second half. After receiving the opening kickoff, the Indians went seven plays and on a fourth-and-13, Girard threw to a leaping Barclay in the right side of the end zone for a 33-yard score. After a stop helped by a Batavia drop, Girard picked out his cousin, Trent Girard, for a 64 yard pass and eventually ran for a 3-yard score.

img-4511-1

Joe Girard III leads his team onto the field. Billy Heyen | Asst. Sports Editor

That was Girard’s second scoring drive in as many possessions at the end of the Carrier Dome where the basketball court is set up for games.

A drive later, he found Trent again near the left sideline, and Girard’s cousin scampered almost half the field for a 55-yard score that put the Indians up 22 early in the fourth quarter, putting the game out of reach for Batavia.

After the game, in the middle of his postgame interview, Girard was summoned away. He had to go take a picture with his cousins, including two fellow seniors and a sophomore on the Glens Falls roster.

“My cousin, Trent Girard, did a good job finding his way to get the ball,” Girard said, “and when he got it, he made plays happen.”

Girard has said he’ll focus on basketball in college, adding Saturday that he “told coach Boeheim I’ll be all his.” So his win Saturday may be his last competitive football game. If so, Girard goes down in Glens Falls history as its all-time leading passer, a 43-5 record in his four seasons on the varsity and three Section II titles.

On his Instagram story Friday, Girard answered a question about his goals at Syracuse, saying that he wanted to win four championships while at SU. After Saturday’s state title win, he’s already used to winning in Syracuse.

“All I’ve really got to say is I’m 2-0 in the Dome so far,” Girard said. “And hopefully the next four years, we can go undefeated as well.”