Letters To The Editor

SU senior argues for mandatory alcohol consumption safety training every year

Dear Editor,

One of the most common activities on college campuses is drinking. However, it is rarely an appropriate amount and tends to happen too often to be considered healthy. Going to one of the largest party schools in the United States, I see someone binge drinking nearly every day for basically any reason. I have seen students drink to an unconscious state to the point they need medical attention.

Personally, 1o of my own friends have been transported to hospitals within the four years I have been on campus. This is an obscene amount and while this issue isn’t exclusive to Syracuse University, it is something I believe needs to be addressed.

Many students lack the necessary knowledge to safely consume alcohol and know when they or a friend have had too much. I believe in order to make Syracuse a safer and healthier campus, the University must focus more efforts on educating students of the dangers of drinking. They must also provide students with the tools they need in order to be prepared for a situation in which they themselves or someone around them drinks too much.

Currently, I know SU requires first year students to complete an online course in which they learn a little about safe consumption of alcohol and what to do in an accident. I suggest however that this mandate is required every year rather than just once and it is in person. This will keep the topic more on the students’ minds and also encourage them to be more engaged in the conversation.

Doing this will hopefully curb the drinking culture in Syracuse. Over my past four years at SU I have seen the problems and consequences that result from binge drinking on our campus and I urge you to help me take a stance on this.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Paige Palmer
Syracuse University, Class of 2019