Bandersnatch 2018

SahBabbii, Melii and Valee prove Bandersnatch is a great scene for emerging artists, college crowd

Gavin Liddell | Staff Photographer

University Union hosted its Bandersnatch concert series on Nov. 14 in Goldstein Auditorium, headlined by Atlanta-based rapper SahBabii.

University Union’s Bandersnatch concert on Wednesday night featured Melii, Valee and headliner SahBabii. With a strong legacy, this year’s Bandersnatch concert series supported emerging talent while catering to the musical tastes of its college-aged audience.

Melii, a rapper from Harlem, kicked off the evening with a high-energy performance of “Sh*t Talk.” Her fusion of heavy bass, New York rap cadences and Latin roots created an up-tempo catalog of tracks. She danced around the stage and pumped up the crowd, showing the audience she wanted to be there.

With her hype songs, energetic stage presence and a clear focus on audience participation, Melii gave a solid introduction to an exciting night of performances. I enjoyed the energy she brought into the performance — while I didn’t know her before the event, I’ll be following where Melii takes her career.

Chicago-based rapper Valee’s sound was very different compared to the act before him. With a flow reminiscent of popular contemporary artists like Famous Dex, Playboi Carti and MadeinTYO, Valee’s performance featured heavy bass and flashy lyrics. He moved around the stage much less than the previous act, instead focusing on perfecting his swag. So while Valee’s performance was lit, it lacked a memorable factor.

Headliner and Chicago-native SahBabii’s performance of his hit track “Pull Up Wit Ah Stick” energized the crowd. His other songs somewhat emulated the recording of his hit with a laid-back, melodic style of rap reminiscent of Atlanta artists like Young Thug and Gunna. His hype men added a different energy to his 30-minute performance, encouraging audience participation and effectively closing out the night’s events.

As emerging artists, intimate university concerts like this one give performers the opportunity to connect with young listeners and build a growing fan base. The relaxed setting of a college auditorium gives them a chance to experiment with techniques, practice and perfect their sounds. This was evidently on the minds of each performer.

Each artist brought something fresh and new to the stage — Melii’s bilingual raps, Valee’s bass-filled beats, SahBabii’s busy stage presence. Each of the performers showcased their talents, proving why their fan bases are bubbling up and supporting the legitimacy of their hit tracks.

While the crowd could have been bigger, students that attended this year’s Bandersnatch event left with a positive experience to remember. As these young artists continue to improve their music and find their sound, it will be great to know that Syracuse University was there in the beginning, just as it has been for legends that have come before.

Jalen Nash is a junior political science major. His music column appears weekly in Pulp. You can email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @ja_nash3.