Arts

Redhouse Arts Center names Broadway vet as new artistic director

Courtesy of Blue Hat Photography

Redhouse Executive Director Samara Hannah (left) and Board President Bill Hider (right) announce Hunter Foster as the new artistic director of Redhouse Arts Center.

On Friday morning, one of Broadway’s most beloved artists was apartment-hunting in Armory Square, just steps away from his future workplace: the Redhouse Arts Center.

Redhouse announced today that Broadway actor, director and writer Hunter Foster will be the theater’s new artistic director. Foster is best-known for his performances in the Broadway productions of “Footloose,” “Les Misérables,” “Grease,” “The Producers,” “Urinetown” and “The Bridges of Madison County,” among others. In 2004, he was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Actor in a Musical for his role as Seymour in “Little Shop of Horrors.”

Foster said he was drawn to Redhouse because of the theater’s modern and versatile venue space — which he described as having a “hip vibe.” Foster has several show ideas in mind, but he wants to explore what the Syracuse community wants before deciding the 2019-20 season lineup.

“I want to make sure that we’re presenting things that people want to see,” he said. “I don’t want to present things that I think are great, I want to make sure there’s an audience who wants to come see it as well.”

For Foster, creating a positive experience for Redhouse staff members, actors and audience members is of utmost importance. He said he hopes to cultivate a season lineup with diverse stories that appeal to a wide range of audiences — particularly younger ones.

Foster is no stranger to the upstate New York area — his wife, Jennifer Cody, is from Rochester. Along with several personal connections to Syracuse Stage and some of the faculty members and alumni of Syracuse University’s Department of Drama, Foster plans to collaborate with the university to provide additional opportunities for both students and faculty.

“Theater should be about educating you about the world around you, but also hopefully lifting you up and making you feel better about the world as well,” he said.

Foster has worked on Broadway for about 25 years and plans to bring in NYC-based artists to guest direct, design and choreograph, as well as host workshops. He said he looks forward to inviting Broadway professionals to Redhouse while making sure to cultivate local talent as well.

When it comes to casting, Foster said he always looks for the best person for the role — regardless of their equity status or where they are from. Although he plans to collaborate with out-of-town artists, providing opportunities for local talent is a priority.

As a writer and librettist himself, Foster is also eager to increase opportunities for local playwrights to get their pieces workshopped and brought to life on stage.

“The biggest challenge for writers I think is finding a place to have their work seen,” he said. “So eventually, I would love to have a place where we can have a new play that we work on here — or a new musical.”

For the last five years, Foster has shifted his theatrical focus to directing. He is currently the artistic associate at Bucks County Playhouse where he has directed “42nd Street, “Guys and Dolls,” “Clue,” “It’s a Wonderful Life” and “National Pastime,” among others.

When asked if he’d be on stage again anytime soon, Foster said “never say never,” but stressed that his role as artistic director isn’t about him — it’s about the serving the Syracuse community and strengthening the local arts scene.

Redhouse Executive Director Samara Hannah said the camaraderie she feels with other theaters in town is one of the best parts of her job. As research continues to develop Syracuse as a cultural district, Hannah said arts organizations in Syracuse work as a team.

“We all know that we have our little piece of the puzzle,” she said. “There’s a healthy competition — we’re not looking to knock each other off.”

One of Foster’s goals as artistic director is to shape Redhouse’s identity by embracing what sets it apart from other theaters in the area.

“This building creates a different identity and we have to figure out what that is,” Foster said. “You walk in here and there’s a level of expectation now of what you’re coming to see.”

Foster will begin his role as artistic director full-time in December. Until then, he is wrapping up other projects, including his upcoming show “The Other Josh Cohen” at the Westside Theatre in Manhattan.