High School Football

Holland Patent comes back to win 1st Section III title since 1989

TJ Shaw | Staff Photographer

Holland Patent celebrated its first sectional title since 1989 on the Carrier Dome turf on Saturday afternoon.

With 29 seconds left in the game, and the score tied at 14, Holland Patent had the ball on the two-yard line. It had been a rollercoaster of a fourth quarter, but Holland Patent’s magical 2018 campaign came down to one play.

Golden Knights quarterback Nick Herringshaw took the snap and plowed through the General Brown front for a Section III Class C winning touchdown.

“Wow, we did it,” said Herringshaw on the game winning score. “We did it, and they didn’t stop us.”

Holland Patent (10-0) had trailed the Lions (8-2) for about a quarter by a touchdown. But the Golden Knights knotted it up with about three minutes to go and won it on the Herringshaw sneak, 21-14, in the Carrier Dome on Saturday. It was Holland Patent’s first sectional title since 1989.

Just a couple minutes before Herringshaw’s score, the mood and feel of the Holland Patent sideline was the total opposite.

With the ball right around the 50-yard line, Herringshaw threw a lob down the left sideline that was intercepted by General Brown safety and quarterback Jake Heller. But a pass interference call by the sideline judge kept the Golden Knights’ game-winning drive alive.

“I thought that was it, I thought we were over,” said Herringshaw of the overturned interception.

Once play resumed, Herringshaw threw a strike to 6-foot-3 wideout and senior, DJ Hunter, to set up the game-winning score.

11-3-18_gb_v_hp_seciii_champs_tjshaw_sp22-copy

Nick Herringshaw (12) led a game-tying and a game-winning drive for Holland Patent. TJ Shaw | Staff Photographer

Saturday afternoon’s game started quickly. On the first series, General Brown converted a fourth down to keep their opening offensive drive going. On the ensuing play, Holland Patent’s Hunter Tarbania picked off a General Brown screen pass and returned it for a touchdown to open scoring.

The first quarter of play was defined by Holland Patent’s defense, which had to contain General Brown’s triple option attack.

“Our defensive coordinator coach Swalgin did an excellent job with the defense” said Holland Patent head coach Brian Briggs.

General Brown put up their first points of the championship game with about five minutes left in the first half. After forcing a Holland Patent three and out, General Brown drove all the way down to the two-yard line, where Heller punched it in for a score. A failed two-point conversion made the score 7-6, Holland Patent ahead, heading into half.

Coming out of the half, General Brown continued to wear down the Holland Patent defense. The Lions fullback Tre’ Coney was the focal point of the rushing attack, as he hit huge holes in the Golden Knight defense. The senior fullback had 83 rushing yards on the day.

With 3:47 to go in the third, General Brown took their first lead of the game on a five yard touchdown catch by junior De’Shaun Thorigal-Brown. On the two point try, Heller sneaked it into the endzone to put the Lions up 14-7. Heading into the fourth quarter, Holland Patent’s undefeated season was on life support.

At the four minute mark of the fourth quarter, Holland Patent drove down to General Brown’s 12-yard line. The Lions’ pass rush was a major problem for the Holland Patent coaching staff in the second half. Their answer: screen passes. Herringshaw caught the snap and threw a quick strike to wide receiver Jeff Sobel, who took the ball to the left pylon to tie the game at 14.

On the ensuing General Brown drive, a fumble from Coney deep in Golden Knights’ territory set up the game-winning drive.

The Class C, Section III title caps off a magical run by Holland Patent this season. It’s the school’s first sectional title in more than 20 years.

“We had people fly in from Texas, California, everyone was coming,” Herringshaw added.

“It’s an awesome feeling,” Briggs said. “I’m so happy for the community.”