Citizen Review Board member ousted

Kai Nguyen | Staff Photographer

Herve Comeau, a graduate of Syracuse University, has been an activist in the area for several years. The meeting pictured above is from March.

Syracuse’s Common Council introduced a waiver to remove local activist Herve Comeau from the Citizen Review Board on Monday following allegations that he had sexually abused, manipulated and assaulted women.

On June 10, a petition by Black Lives Matter Syracuse circulated the internet asserting that four women came forward with stories about Comeau. Since its publication, the petition had 419 signatures. The council did not address why they were voting to remove Comeau. The agenda said his removal is pursuant to Sec. 5, (1) e of Local Law 11-1993, which states CRB, by a simple majority vote, can request the Common Council remove a board member when appropriate.

A July 19  BLM Syracuse Medium blog post details stories from survivors of alleged abuse by Comeau. Comeau has been an organizer for BLM Syracuse, an immigration pro bono coordinator with the Volunteer Lawyers Project of Onondaga County and is a graduate of Syracuse University. Comeau has protested Columbus Day, President Donald Trump’s Muslim ban and police brutality, among other things.

On his own Medium blog, Comeau wrote a response on July 21 claiming he’s never sexually assaulted or coerced anyone.

CRB works to “ensure an open citizen-controlled process for reviewing grievances involving members of the Syracuse Police Department,” according to the board’s webpage.

“This has been the most painful experience of my life,” Comeau wrote in his blog post. “Being accused of things that go against every part of my nature, and my faith.”

Other business:

The council also voted to allow a local athletic center to purchase a tax-delinquent property.

The North Area Athletic and Education Center, run by former professional boxer Ray Rinaldi, is looking to expand its youth intervention program. Rinaldi said he hopes by purchasing this building, the center can hold more kids and create new programs. Currently, the center has boxing lessons, computer classes and GED classes, among other things.

Rinaldi is now able to purchase the tax-delinquent property at 301-303 S. Geddes St. for $5,000.

At the council’s study session last Wednesday, Syracuse Police Department Chief Frank Fowler spoke on Rinaldi’s behalf.

“We are constantly looking for folks in the community to provide alternatives for our young folks,” Fowler said. “This gentleman right here does it every day and tirelessly; and I’m just here to stand in support of him because he’s in support of me.”