high school football

Cicero-North Syracuse defeats Elmira 42-20 in state quarterfinals

Max Freund | Asst. Photo Editor

Jaiquawn McGriff collected the plaque on Saturday for C-NS.

As the clock hit zero at Cicero North Syracuse High School Friday night, the Northstars’ fans cheered and clanged their cowbells. On the field, it was a different story.

None of the C-NS players stormed their teammates on the field. The vast majority went straight into the handshake line without hesitation.

As Jaiquawn McGriff took the regional title plaque at midfield, he slowly walked toward his teammates kneeling on the far goal line. The Northstars barely even celebrated with it. Head coach Dave Kline told his team to walk into its line of twos back to the locker room.

As they walked, McGriff held the plaque in his left hand, at his side, barely acknowledging it.

“This isn’t the plaque they want,” a fan said standing along the fence about 15 feet away from the procession of Northstars.

The fan was right. C-NS already has that plaque, from last year. The Northstars beat Elmira 57-14 last season in the same state quarterfinal before eventually losing in the next round. Now, C-NS are headed back to the semifinals at Union-Endicott next weekend, hoping and expecting a different result.

As C-NS dominated the second half Saturday night in a 42-20 win over Section IV champions Elmira, the celebrations were minimal. The Northstars have to win two more games  to reach the goal they set at the beginning of the year– a state title. Tonight was just one step in that path, but it’s the toughest step C-NS has been forced to make all season.

Fresh off two dominant wins in the Section III playoffs, allowing just seven points in two games, C-NS entered halftime in an unfamiliar position. C-NS had won its first 10 games of the season all by at least two touchdowns. Even though they ended up winning by three scores Saturday, the Northstars were tested deep into the fourth quarter for the first time all season.

“This was definitely was our most physical game of the year,” Kline said. “Some of their guys got a little tired, thank goodness.”

C-NS hadn’t allowed more than 21 points all season, yet as the first half ended, the score read 20-20. On the opening play of the second half, senior quarterback Conner Hayes found McGriff in the flat. He broke multiple tackles, weaved his way through the Express defense and scored a 61-yard touchdown to give the Northstars their first lead of the night. They never trailed again.

“It was a good test, but we know how to pass them,” McGriff said. “As a team, nobody can stop what we do.”

The Northstars defense, which allowed more points in the first half than any half this season, stiffened. On three consecutive drives, Elmira threatened, but never scored. Facing its most competitive fourth quarter all year, C-NS proved it could make the plays necessary to advance.

First, they sacked Elmira quarterback Zack Middaugh on a 4th and goal. The next Express drive, C-NS stuffed running back Jarrid Lewis in the backfield, again on 4th down.

Kline said that the Express offense presented challenges that they haven’t faced before. In the first half, the Express had three full touchdown drives totaling 33 runs and one pass. C-NS kept scoring with them, but the outside rushing attack and misdirection up front outmaneuvered the Northstars defense.

Once McGriff, also a linebacker,  and the defense kept the Elmira running backs between the tackles and stopped getting flanked, the stops came, McGriff said.

“What they do is just so good,” Kline said. “Their offense is difficult, we have seen nothing like that up here all season long.”

Even as the C-NS defense stifled the Express on its final four drives, McGriff made sure that Elmira was going home in the state quarterfinals for the second straight year. Backed up deep in its own territory, facing a 3rd-and-8, Hayes completed a critical 20-yard conversion to senior Nate Geloff.

On the next play, McGriff secured the win for C-NS with a 65 yard touchdown run. The run ensured that C-NS would continue its unbeaten senior season. In seven full drives the Northstars scored six touchdowns, five from McGriff.

“All I have to do is trust my linemen, every last one of them,” McGriff said. “As soon as that hole opens they can depend on me to get that second gear and that touchdown.”

After an Elmira fumble, McGriff added his third touchdown of over 60 yards in the half with a 77 yard touchdown run. The scoreboard read 42-20 Northstars, but the path there was very different.

“These kids have a dream of winning the state title,” Kline said. “That’s what they’re aspiring to. There are four great teams left and it’s open to anybody.”

In two weeks time, C-NS might have a new plaque. And if they win that one, they’ll be sure to celebrate it.