After shootings, Cuomo to send state police to Syracuse

Three people all under the age of 19 have been killed in Syracuse in the last month, all within an eight-day span.

New York state troopers will be sent to Syracuse to assist local law enforcement after a series of recent shootings in the city.     

Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) announced on Tuesday that the state will send 10 state trooper patrols, increase intelligence sharing and provide financial assistance to the city. State police will work closely with the Syracuse Police Department and develop a working relationship with local officials in the short term, said Rich Azzopardi, Cuomo’s senior deputy communications director.

Three people under the age of 19 have been killed in Syracuse in the last month, and six other people were injured. The three deaths happened within an eight-day span.

Azzopardi said the state has funding available to support some programs, and that meetings have already started to determine where and how much money will be spent.

Print

Laura Angle | Digital Design Editor

Resources need to be used to find the root causes of violence, Azzopardi said. He added that adding or increasing programs such as midnight basketball or job training will help address the issues that lead to gun violence.

Several Syracuse Common Council members expressed mixed feelings over Cuomo’s decision.

Councilor Latoya Allen, of the 4th district, which includes the city’s South Side, said she appreciates the governor’s attempt to help. But state troopers may not know the Syracuse environment or the people of the city, she said.

“It would be better if we could just hire our own police officers instead of bringing in state troopers,” she said.

She added that the increase in law enforcement has the potential to stop people from committing crimes, in the moment.

“I just am grateful,” said Councilor Susan Boyle of the 3rd district. “We have a pretty serious problem right now, and we need all the support we can get.”

3-people

Laura Angle | Digital Design Editor

The additional state police patrols and intelligence sharing will be used based on needs that SPD identifies, said Beau Duffy, director of public information for the New York State Police, in an email.

Mayor Ben Walsh’s office did not respond to multiple requests for comment on this story.

Steve Thompson, councilor-at-large and former Syracuse city police chief, said any additional financial assistance from the state is good. He said that in other instances when state troopers have assisted city police departments, troopers expand existing police patrols in responding to gun or gang violence.

Thompson said he supports Walsh’s request for state assistance, but he wants more cooperation between federal and local agencies to stop gun violence. He said people are able to bring guns into Syracuse and upstate New York despite the state’s “stringent” gun laws.    

“These aren’t New York state guns that are shooting people,” Thompson said. “These are weapons that are being brought in that you would think could be regulated.”

Boyle said police department staffing has been low — increasing staff even temporarily would significantly impact the crime and gun violence in the city, she said.

Councilor Joe Carni, of the 1st district, said a strong police presence in Syracuse neighborhoods is likely to curb crime. Carni’s district includes the North Side, where a 12-year-old boy died last week hours after being shot.

The city needs to collaborate more with the county, state and other local government in any capacity, he added.

“Our constituency pays state and federal taxes, county taxes. We should be able to, when necessary, work together with them,” he said.

Azzopardi said that while actions like increasing law enforcement presence and meeting with community leaders have been effective in other parts of New York — including Albany, the Bronx and Long Island — no two situations or cities are alike. The surge of violence and shootings is common in these areas, but the recent youth fatalities in the city are “unique to Syracuse,” he said.

“It’s not one size fits all,” he said. “You can’t just police your way out of this. It’s got to be comprehensive.”