field hockey

Syracuse defeats Boston College for its 3rd overtime win of 2018

Corey Henry | Staff Photographer

Claire Cooke scored Syracuse's first goal against Boston College.

The clock was frozen at 6:59. On the field, most of Syracuse’s team mobbed captain Roos Weers while others jumped on each other. 

Moments earlier, Syracuse had lined up for a penalty corner in double overtime and the score knotted at one.  Freshman Kira Wimbert inserted the ball, aiming it toward Weers at the top of the circle. Weers dragged it beyond the arced line before bringing it back into the circle and firing it into the back of the net with an echoing thud.

For the third time in three home games, No. 13 Syracuse (7-4, 1-3 Atlantic Coast) won in overtime. This time, it was conference foe No. 8 Boston College (7-4, 2-2) that fell to the Orange, 2-1, under the lights at J. S. Coyne Stadium. The win over BC is both SU’s first conference win this season and its first win against a team ranked in the top 10. It is also the fifth time SU played more than the 70 minutes of regulation, the most it’s played during regular season since 2010.

“Its awesome anytime you win,” SU head coach Ange Bradley said. “I don’t care if it’s overtime or regulation, it’s really good to win one on Coyne.”

Good defense has led to the abundance of overtime games, Bradley said. In SU’s five overtime games this season, there is an average of 10 shots allowed per game. In each game except one, both teams entered overtime tied 1-1. Against BC, SU allowed more than its overtime game average (15 total) and still held the Eagles to one goal.

In the first overtime, BC had four shots. The first one, shot by Fusine Govaert, was blocked by SU goalie Borg van der Velde who closed the gap between her shinguards to deflect the ball away from the goal. Govaert had the rebound and shot again, this time sending the ball over the goal and onto the grassy hill behind it.

For the third and fourth shots, BC was given penalty corners. The first one van der Velde saved but the ball bounced off the foot of an SU player and was called a foul. The Eagles lined up for a penalty corner again but this time, when Ymke Rose Gote shot on goal, SU defender Jamie Martin blocked the shot. It was Boston College’s last shot of the night.

“It was a good defensive effort,” Weers said. “We tried to keep them out of the circle, they’re very scrappy.”

Bradley has often cited the youth of the team for why games, and the season in general, go the way they have. In this instance, it’s the developing offense that has also played a part in the increased number of overtimes. This season is one of the youngest teams Bradley has coached with only five upperclassmen. As the season goes on, they are getting better, she said, but they’re still learning.

SU is allowing fewer shots than its average in games that go into overtime but is taking more shots than usual in the same games. Typically, the Orange attempt 10.4 shots a game. When the game goes into overtime, the average raises to 14. Only once though have the Orange entered extra minutes with more than one goal on the board.

Sophomore Claire Cooke who scored the goal against the Eagles. It came in the second half and was her first career goal. Not even ten minutes later BC retaliated with a goal of its own on a penalty corner.

Bradley’s young players aren’t kept from overtime situations though. When the game goes into extra time, each team is only allowed six players and a goalie. Against BC, the Orange had two upperclassmen, four sophomores and a freshman.

“I pick them out of a hat,” Bradley said while laughing.

She turned and looked to Weers and sophomore Claire Cooke who were both smiling at their coach’s joke. Both players started during overtime and it was Weers’ goal that sealed SU’s victory. Bradley then said that she picks her players based on how they played through the game “similar to picking starters.”

Five times this season, SU has been in sudden death situations. The Orange aren’t phased though.

“If you’re a competitor and you like a challenge,” Bradley said, “that’s why you play. You want to win.”