HBO political talk show host Bill Maher to perform at Oncenter

Courtesy of David Becker

Bill Maher performed at the Landmark Theatre in Syracuse in 2014. He is known for his comedy specials and HBO show "Real Time with Bill Maher."

Comedian and political satirist Bill Maher will perform in Syracuse this weekend. In his nearly four decade-long career in American television, Maher has been nominated for more than 40 Emmys and has written five best-sellers.

Maher is set to perform at The Oncenter Crouse Hinds Theater at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 7 as part of his 2018-19 tour.

Maher, who currently hosts the program “Real Time with Bill Maher” on HBO, began as a stand-up comedian in 1979, according to a press release. Since then, Maher has hosted programs on ABC, Comedy Central and most recently, HBO. Out of his ten HBO stand-up comedy specials, four received Emmy nominations. Some of his guest appearances include former President Barack Obama, Drew Barrymore and Jesse Jackson, among others.

Outside of his career in comedy, Maher has worked on more serious projects, such as the 2008 documentary, “Religulous,” which investigates organized religion. The documentary has gone on to become the eighth highest grossing documentary ever, according to the press release.

While this will be Maher’s second performance in Syracuse in the past four years, the comedian still performs in sold-out theaters across the country, according to the press release. His last visit was held in 2014 at the Landmark Theatre.

The Oncenter hosts events throughout the year. Past headliners include comedian Jim Gaffigan and country singers Josh Turner and Thomas Rhett. Jackie Atkins, the venue’s sales and marketing manager, said the team provides a range of services “to ensure their event’s success here in Syracuse.”

Atkins said that preparations for the show are smooth sailing, and they’re ready for the event.

Sunday’s show is the second scheduled performance of Maher’s tour, which runs through November 2019.