Boost the ‘Cuse fundraiser triples goal in 2nd year

Last year, the Boost the 'Cuse fundraiser brought in more than $1.7 million and exceeded its individual donor goal.

Syracuse University will launch its second 24-hour fundraiser on Thursday with a goal of having at least 5,000 people donate money to the university.  

Boost the ‘Cuse is an all-day fundraiser in which alumni, parents, students and other members of the SU community are encouraged via digital mediums, such as email and Twitter, to donate to the school. This year, the goal is for 5,000 individual donors to give any sum of money, anytime on Thursday.  

In 2017, the inaugural 24-hour fundraiser raised more than $1,765,000. About half of the donors were alumni, about 20 percent were faculty and about 20 percent were parents, students, board members and “friends.” 

The goal for the fundraiser last year was getting 1,870 donors, based on the founding year of SU. Just under 4,000 people donated to the school in 2017, exceeding the university’s goal by more than double, said David Wishart, assistant vice president for philanthropic engagement.  

“My focus has been on getting to that donor number,” Wishart said. “I just hope it’s a day that people enjoy the opportunity to give back to the university, enjoy the opportunity to provide the students with more resources, enhance the student experience.” 

The day is meant to bring the campus together and give a sense of community to people who are donating money, Wishart said. Kim Infanti, executive director of digital engagement and communications for the Office of Alumni Engagement, said the university intends to use social media as a way for the community to be more aware of Boost the ‘Cuse. 

Wishart said many choose to handle their philanthropy and gift-giving privately, either through one-on-one conversations or by mail. 

“The Boost the ‘Cuse activity and crowdfunding initiatives in general are opportunities for those who want to give with a big sense of community, to participate in the day,” Wishart said. 

There will be snacks on the Quad, Snapchat filters, selfies with Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer Pete Sala and a hashtag, #BoostCuse, to increase engagement around campus, Infanti added. She said she thinks more than 5,000 donors will donate during the fundraiser. 

“We’re really trying to make this an experience and have people understand that giving is something that shouldn’t feel like a transaction — it’s something that really transforms lives,” Infanti said. 

Infanti and Wishart both said that alumni are encouraged to give to any fund, school or college that they choose, and any amount is encouraged.  

“Students haven’t quite understood that the building that they’re taking classes in potentially is thanks to an alum’s support, the scholarship that they have to be at Syracuse is thanks to an alum’s support,” Infanti said.