Beat writer Q&A: Andrew Schnittker of the Technician talks NC State

Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff Photographer

After playing at NC State last year, Syracuse welcomes the Wolfpack to the Carrier Dome on Saturday night.

Syracuse (5-2, 2-2 Atlantic Coast) hosts No. 22 North Carolina State (5-1, 2-1) in the Carrier Dome on Saturday at 7 p.m. The Orange comes off a double overtime victory to North Carolina, while NC State was blasted by No. 2 Clemson last week, 41-7.

The Daily Orange spoke with the Technician’s Andrew Schnittker about both team’s quarterbacks and NC State’s recent loss to the Tigers.

The Daily Orange: Is North Carolina State’s 5-1 start deceiving?

Andrew Schnittker: I’d say no. This is a team with a strong passing attack led by one of the best quarterbacks in the nation in Ryan Finley and depth-at-receiver. The defense is also underrated and has been better this year despite losing four starting linemen to the NFL.

While it’s true NC State doesn’t have a signature win this season, Virginia and Boston College are solid teams, and those are good wins. I don’t think the blowout loss to a top-tier Clemson team changes the fact that this is a good team, and the start is legit.

D.O.: What happened in the Clemson game that led to the loss?

A.S.: Everything that could go wrong did. A missed tackle on the opening kickoff gave Clemson a short field, they scored fast and then NC State was out of rhythm on offense. It pretty much snowballed from there.

This team got away from everything that had led it to a 5-0 start, and it just wasn’t the Wolfpack’s game. Kelvin Harmon, who has magnets for hands, dropped a beautiful throw from Finley on a play that likely would have led for a touchdown. The Wolfpack turned the ball over three times and got beaten on third down on both sides of the ball. NC State simply did not play its game in Clemson, and while it’s disappointing, that game isn’t indicative of this team’s ability.

D.O.: What’s been the most impressive part of the Wolfpack team this year?

A.S.: The passing game. Finley can make some throws that seriously wow you and show he’s an NFL-caliber QB. Harmon is good for at least one “Mossed” catch a game. And this team has some serious depth-at-receiver with guys like Jakobi Meyers and Emeka Emezie. Stephen Louis got hurt against Clemson, but NC State has the depth to offset that loss.

The Wolfpack could not move the ball through the air against Clemson (many teams can’t), but expect the team to get back to that in this one.

D.O.: Who’s one player Syracuse fans might not know before the game, but will after?

A.S.: Linebacker Germaine Pratt. He’s the quarterback of NC State’s defense, a leader and playmaker. He leads the ACC in tackles with 57 and has three sacks. Pratt flashed his playmaking ability as a backup last year with two defensive touchdowns but is doing it on a consistent basis in his senior season. Expect Pratt to finish the game with double-digit tackles and make at least one game-changing play.

D.O.: Who wins Saturday’s game and why?

A.S.: This one won’t be easy, but the Wolfpack gets it done 35-27. NC State will be angry after a game against Clemson where it wasn’t at its best and eager to get back to what led to the 5-0 start. It will be a shootout, but Finley and his receiving corps will outpace (Eric) Dungey or (Tommy) DeVito. Couple that with the fact that the Pack has a better defense, and NC State takes this one.