softball

Syracuse hires Shannon Doepking as head softball coach

Courtesy of Dartmouth Athletics

Shannon Doepking spent the last four seasons as the head coach of Dartmouth.

Syracuse has hired Shannon Doepking as its new head softball coach, SU Athletics announced Friday. She takes the place of Mike Bosch, who left for an assistant position at Florida.

Doepking comes to the Orange from Dartmouth, where she was head coach for four seasons. In 2018, the Big Green went 22-18, 16-5 in the Ivy League. Her overall record at Dartmouth was 118-98.

The first head coaching experience for Doepking came in 2014 at Amherst College, a Division III school. She led the Mammoths to a 21-11 record in her lone season. Doepking also had experience as an collegiate assistant coach, as part of the Stony Brook staff in 2013.

Doepking’s collegiate playing career featured four seasons at Tennessee. The Volunteers made three Women’s College World Series in her time there, and finished as national runner-up in 2007.

In her time at Tennessee, Doepking played catcher. In her senior season, 2008, she hit a career-best .315 with four home runs and 47 RBI. Doepking attended Highland (Calif.) High School.

Doepking is the fourth head coach in Syracuse history. She was preceded by Mary Jo Firnbach (2000-06), Leigh Ross (2007-15) and Bosch (2016-18). The Orange finished last season with a 30-20 record.