football

SU offensive line plays the most ‘unathletic’ game of football you’ll ever see

Josh Shub-Seltzer | Staff Photographer

Syracuse's offensive line consists of six players who have started 12 games or more a the Division I level.

Offensive linemen are known for being one of the quirkiest position groups in football, which often leads to strange off-the-field traditions. In Wisconsin, the linemen enjoy Campfire Sauce at Red Robin. Last season, Central Florida offensive linemen bonded by wearing one shirt for all of training camp before their undefeated 13-0 season.

Before pre-game walkthroughs, usually one day prior to kickoff, Syracuse big men play 7-on-7 football, a skill position form of football which eliminates both guards and tackles. When the “cows,” as the lineman have referred to themselves, play the mini game, it takes an opposite form.

Rule one: No athletic movements.

“Big man football, yeah, that’s one of our traditions before a game,” redshirt sophomore center Airon Servais said. “It’s called fat man …”

He paused and corrected himself: “It’s walking football. It’s a lot of fun.”

The game, which senior tackle Cody Conway described as “just an unathletic version of football,” is exclusively for SU offensive lineman. It’s not always the traditional 7-on-7 and takes the form dependent on however many players want to play.

If all of the 17 offensive lineman listed on the team’s roster participated, and no exceptions were made, the group could play with eight participants on each team and one substitute. The O-line, which averages 300.1 pounds, sometimes invites guests to join the game. Most recently, 282-pound fullback and defensive tackle Chris Elmore was invited to a game last season.

“Walking football is probably the best way to (bond),” guard Sam Heckel said. “This year is kind of like, we all kind of just know each other … which is great to see.”

The linemen don’t know how long the tradition traces back. Aaron Roberts, a redshirt senior guard, remembered playing during his freshman season in 2014. Heckel said “it’s gone on for a longtime” and believed it was played while Macky MacPherson played at SU from 2010-13.

Regardless of when the game originated, when asked who the best player is, all the lineman are quick to highlight themselves.

“I don’t want to toot my own horn,” Servais quipped, “but I’m pretty good.”

Senior left tackle Cody Conway said he’s the best player. “It’s not even close,” he added. Heckel took the question in a different direction.

“You can’t really pinpoint a person,” Heckel said. “You can name a great role player, that’s me. I do everything extraordinary. I bring the best defense.”

Heckel — who claimed to have scored 10 touchdowns in a 90-minute game — added tat since athleticism is banned, the game plays to his strengths. He mentioned Conway as a top quarterback, Roberts at receiver and Redshirt senior Keaton Darney “all around.”

“It might be me, to be honest with you,” Roberts said of the game’s best quarterback. “I’m nice at a receiver. I try to switch it up, you know what I’m saying? But I can get the ball there. I like Colin, Colin Byrne is nice at quarterback, Dakota (Davis).”

The biggest discrepancy, of course, comes back to the main rule. Roberts called out Conway and Servais as two of the most common cheaters. In a game with no athletic movements, gaining an edge is easy. As the ball approaches, players speed up their slant route or break too fast on the ball from the safety position, Roberts said.

Heckel described how he cheats: “Try to be as athletic as possible, without anyone knowing. Do little hops on defense. They all know it, but what are they going to do.”