As Dungey predicted, Syracuse annihilates Wagner, 62-10

Max Freund | Asst. Photo Editor

Eric Dungey said last Tuesday his goal was to "annihilate" teams, starting with the Seahawks.

One word was on Eric Dungey’s mind last Tuesday: annihilation.

“I just want to annihilate them,” Dungey said. “They’re in our way, in the way of our goal, and that’s what we’re trying to look for.

When Dungey was slinging his fifth touchdown into the end zone to put Syracuse up by 52 midway through the third quarter, annihilation was still on his mind. It was on the mind of Tommy DeVito when he launched an incomplete 40-yard bomb down the sidelines while ahead by 52. It was on the minds of the entire team when Syracuse decided to go for it on fourth down and eight on the same drive.

Syracuse (2-0, 0-0 Atlantic Coast) showcased that mantra of “annihilation” on all sides of the ball this Saturday afternoon en route to a, 62–10, dismantling of Wagner (1-1, 0-0 Northeast), marking the first time SU opened the season with back-to-back 50-point performances since 1929.

“You just have to dominate the guy across from you,” defensive lineman Kendall Coleman said. “Making sure that we’re handling the fight in front of us and not worrying about someone else or where someone else.

After storming out to a 27-point lead in its season opener against Western Michigan, the Orange allowed the Broncos to battle back, cutting the SU lead to just six. Dungey left the game in the second quarter when the lead swelled to 27 and the SU offense didn’t regain life until he returned. Saturday afternoon, the Orange would not allow the same to happen, especially not Dungey.

“I was still in (head coach Dino Babers’) ear in the fourth quarter trying to be in,” Dungey said. “I’m gonna be in his ear no matter what.”

Syracuse followed that attacking mindset from the opening whistle. Within the first 3:13, Syracuse led 7-0. Two minutes later, the Orange doubled its lead. At halftime, Dungey’s offense had 45 points.

The offense couldn’t be stopped, even when their designed plays weren’t executed correctly. SU’s first touchdown, scored by Sean Riley, was actually a fade route intended for Jamal Custis. But after the ball batted up in the air, Riley dove underneath the ball, snatching it out of the air in the end zone. Two minutes later, back on Wagner’s goal-line, Dungey ran up the gut before he was stonewalled at the line of scrimmage. With no place to go, Dungey turned and pitched the ball to running back Dontae Strickland, who waltzed into the end zone around the left side of the scrum.

The biggest difference this Saturday, Babers said, was the way the team focused on its receiving core this week.

“We put a light on some things and we had some very black and white conversations with individuals to let them know what the expectations are,” Babers said. “We can’t settle. We won’t settle for less than what we want out of those positions. And I think numerous guys stepped up to show us that they’re capable of being the guy.”

Eight different players caught passes. Four players rushed for at least 40 yards. Seven different players scored. After Custis was the only wide receiver with a catch last Friday, SU diversified its offense.

Custis’ 41 receiving yards ranked third on the team Saturday, behind Nykeim Johnson’s 65 and Riley’s 54. Dungey tied the program record with five passing touchdowns in a game, and all five touchdowns went to different receivers.

“That’s big for us, spreading the ball out and letting those guys make plays,” Dungey said. “You build chemistry.”

SU’s defense chipped in too.

After Wagner running back Ryan Fulse dumbfounded the rest of the FCS with 271 rushing yards last week, the entire Seahawks roster was held to just 41 rushing yards this week on 41 carries. Andre Cisco recorded two interceptions, one on the first pass of the game, and Tyrell Richards provided a spectacular interception in the fourth quarter, batting the ball up to give himself time to dive out for it.

Plus, the pressure that SU failed to apply on WMU, came easily today as the Orange defensive line constantly knocked down Wagner quarterback T.J. Linta.

“That pressure builds on a quarterback after a while and the more that that affects him, the better our defense plays, the better our defense plays, the better the team plays,” Coleman said.

And on special teams, a second-quarter punt block by Riley in Wagner’s own end zone led to an easy recovery for a touchdown. The ball simply fell right into freshman cornerback Trill Williams’ hands. Those plays on defense and special teams allowed the offense to start in Wagner territory on six different drives. SU scored on all six.

Last Friday, when the Orange gassed WMU early, the team eased up, taking out its starters and trying to coast to the finish, before ultimately having to put them back in to close out the game. This Saturday afternoon, the Orange were relentless, chucking balls down the field with a 52-point lead and trying to convert fourth downs with the game already won two quarters before.

“They just caught us at the wrong time,” Babers said. “It was high tide and we were rocking and rolling out there.”

But it still wasn’t enough for Dungey.

Said Dungey: “I feel like we should’ve won by more.”