on campus

Chris Johnson named associate provost for academic affairs

Courtesy of SU News

Chris Johnson’s appointment as associate provost for academic affairs is effective immediately.

Chris Johnson, a professor in the department of civil and environmental engineering at Syracuse University, has been named the associate provost for academic affairs, Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele Wheatly announced Monday.

The Board of Trustees’ Executive Committee approved Johnson’s appointment, which is effective immediately, according to an SU News release. He fills a vacancy created in June, when Jeff Stanton stepped down to return to his faculty and research role at the School of Information Studies.

The announcement comes after faculty, university senators and other leaders reviewed Johnson’s overall ability to advance SU’s vision and mission as outlined by the Academic Strategic Plan, per the release.

Johnson joined the College of Engineering and Computer Science as a faculty member in 1990, a year after he came to SU as a postdoctoral research associate. He chaired the department from 2010 to 2014 and also served as interim director of the Renée Crown University Honors Program, where he still teaches, from July 2016 to June 2018.

He’s served on various committees and task forces both within and outside the College of Engineering and Computer Science and has been a visiting faculty member at universities in Prague and Australia.

Outside of his work with the university, Johnson has served on advisory panels across the world, including one for the United States Environmental Protection Agency. His current research projects involve different facets of environmental chemistry.