Babers talks baby food, mental mistakes at Monday press conference

Josh Schafer | Sports Editor

Dino Babers discussed Friday's win over Western Michigan and baby food.

After entering the half with a 34-7 lead over Western Michigan on Friday night, Syracuse collapsed in the third quarter, allowing 28 points and 336 yards.

Western Michigan’s offensive explosion came from the ground and the air but was largely a product of Syracuse’s defensive mishaps.

“We need to get better obviously, handling those emotional swings.” SU head coach Dino Babers said on Monday. “From not letting deep balls over our heads, we had some runs that were busted, guys not fitting the right gap from a defensive standpoint. Offensively way too many drops.”

On a 3rd-and-2 in Western Michigan territory, redshirt freshman quarterback Tommy Devito tripped out of the snap under center and stumbled to the ground. The play resulted in an SU punt.

On the ensuing Western Michigan possession, receiver D’Wayne Eskridge beat both Scoop Bradshaw and freshman Andre Cisco, the lone safety at the top of the defense, on a deep post route for a touchdown.

“It normally takes (the freshmen) about three to five games,” Babers said. “They should really settle into the speed of the game and they should be able to produce and help us. But you got to continue (to) feed them. Like baby food, you got to give them that baby food before they start eating table food.”

In all, DeVito finished 4-for-9 for 42 yards and was sacked twice. The team didn’t score with him in the game. When asked if he played DeVito with Dungey’s long-term health in mind, Babers said he just wanted to see what DeVito would do.

“Tommy messed up on a bunch of stuff and there was other stuff he did really good,” Babers said. “He was just like Andre Cisco. He was just like Trill Williams. He was just like all the other freshman.”

Other notes from Monday’s press conference:

• Babers on newly named starting kicker Andre Szmyt: “He just kind of came out of nowhere the last two weeks. We just kept watching him and watching him and it was like ‘Hey, has he missed in the last two or three days? I don’t think so.’
  • Evan Adams, who started at right guard against WMU, will miss the first half of the game against Wagner due to an ejection last Friday night. “I’m not mad at him,” Babers said. “We’re going to protect our quarterback. You’re not going to take shots on our quarterback and that’s just the way it goes.”