Babers looks ahead to SU’s matchup with Florida State, talks special teams

Josh Schafer | Sports Editor

Dino Babers addressed Syracuse's win over Wagner and looked ahead to Florida State at Monday's press conference.

Through two games in the 2018 season Syracuse (2-0) has scored 117 points. The Orange has averaged 274.5 yards of rushing offense, ranking them 23rd in the nation.

But this Saturday Syracuse opens Atlantic Coast Conference play with Florida State (1-1). The Seminoles lost 24-3 at home against Virginia Tech on opening weekend.

“Florida State you get excited for a game like that,” Syracuse head coach Dino Babers said at Monday’s press conference. “You’re like ‘Hey, yeah, we’re coming off two big wins.’ And then you go to the tape, you go, ‘wow. These guys are good. They are really, really talented.’”

In six of the last seven seasons, FSU has finished with more than 10 wins and were ACC champions in three of them. The last time the Seminoles came to the Carrier Dome they trounced the Orange 45-14.

“This is a big guy that’s coming in,” Babers said of FSU. “He’s a big guy in school and you’re not as big him, we have to see how we do.”

Babers had high praise for both his receiving group and the special teams unit at Monday’s press conference. He highlighted that several new faces at receiver “made some plays.” Sean Riley, Taj Harris and Nykeim Johnson all caught their first touchdowns of the season against Wagner. Riley led the group with six receptions.

The junior receiver also provided a brief spark late in the game with a 25-yard punt return. Earlier in the game redshirt senior Antwan Cordy split the punt coverage for 34 yards to accompany a blocked punt that was returned for a touchdown.

“When it comes to special teams, I really believe that might the best unit on the entire football team right now,” Babers said. “You go back to what we’ve been doing on the punt return game with Cordy, the kick return game with Sean, the upbacks doing a nice job versus Western Michigan.”

“And then you can’t leave out…” Babers paused before knocking on the wooden podium. “ I don’t even want to say his name because I don’t want to jinx him.”

The unmentioned name, walk-on kicker Andre Szmyt, made all four of his field goal attempts this season including a 50-yarder against Wagner.

Other notes from Monday’s press conference:

● Babers plans to keep rotating the offensive line at different positions. “We may lose a little (by rotating players in and out of the game), but I think what we gain by keeping them fresh is an advantage compared to leaving them in there tired.”

● When asked about the significance of a game against FSU to lure fans back into the Carrier Dome Babers did say it was “too deep of a question,” and stressed it’s a game against a “really good opponent.”