Women's Soccer

Sydney Brackett’s goal and assist fuel Orange’s surge past Huskies, 2-1

Sydney Brackett, pictured on left, scored a goal and added an assist in SU's win Monday.

After mustering just six shots against La Salle in the season opener, the Syracuse women’s soccer team bounced back by blasting 18 shots, nine on goal, in SU’s first win of the season.

Forward Sydney Brackett, who netted the team’s first goal of the season and added an assist, led the Orange (1-1-0) to its first win, 2-1, against the UConn Huskies (0-2-0).

Eight minutes into the game, Brackett, who led SU in goals (5) and points (11) in 2017, put the Orange on the board. Sophomore Kate Donovan set up the goal with a chip over the UConn back line, giving Brackett a one-on-one chance with the goalie, which she converted.

But SU’s lead didn’t last. UConn responded with a goal of its own, at the foot of Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky, about 2 minutes later.

SU opened the second half aggressively, firing six shots on goal in the first 7 minutes. Donovan, Meghan Root, Victoria Hill and Steph Delaforcade also took cracks at the net. SU attempted eight shots before any UConn player could launch one in the second half.

UConn’s back line caved to the Orange’s pressure in the 64th minute when Brackett lofted a cross through the box and found Kate Hostage’s forehead. Hostage’s first goal of the season put SU up 2-1. The sophomore started the opener versus La Salle, but her impact came off the bench against UConn.

UConn was unable to challenge Syracuse’s graduate-transfer Jordan Harris in net, managing just three shots on goal.

The Orange has six games until conference play starts. SU’s next match is against St. John’s at SU Soccer Stadium on Aug. 23.