on campus

Road near Archbold, Carrier Dome to remain closed until 2019

Katie Reahl | Staff Photographer

The road was initially closed in April as a result of the $50 million Archbold Gymnasium renovations.

The walkway between the Archbold Gymnasium and the Carrier Dome at Syracuse University will remain closed until September 2019 as renovation of Archbold continues, a university official announced Thursday.

Sibley Pool in the Women’s Building will also be closed until Aug. 27 to install a new ADA-compliant lift.

Pete Sala, SU’s vice president and chief facilities officer, detailed the gym closure and gave other updates on summer construction projects in a campus-wide email Thursday afternoon.  

SU announced the initial closure of the road and sidewalk near Archbold and the Dome in April. The $50 million Archbold renovation will transform the gym into a 7,000 square-foot fitness and wellness center where student services, such as the Counseling Center and Health Services, will be centrally located on campus.

In addition to work on Archbold, accessibility improvements were made to residence halls, academic buildings and other locations, Sala said. These projects included sidewalk improvements, curb cuts and door hardware replacements, such as replacing knobs with levers and installing power operators.

Renovations to residence halls were also completed during the summer, including the full renovation of the Brockway Dining Hall, conversion of bathrooms at Day Hall into single-user accessible restrooms and the refurbishing of student rooms at Day and Lyons halls.

New sidewalks and accessible ramps were installed in Walnut Park in partnership with the city of Syracuse to improve pedestrian access to campus.

Ongoing work continues on the replacement of Hendricks Chapel’s roof. Concrete pouring for the National Veterans Resource Complex’s building foundation is also ongoing, and the complex is scheduled to open in spring 2020.

Sala also announced that FIXit, the campus service that performs maintenance and custodial work in university housing and dining centers, will now be called Facilities Services. The service was moved under SU’s Campus Facilities Administration and Services department to “streamline the process by which campus constituents request maintenance and improve response time,” Sala said.