Music Column

If music is your thing, here’s what you can look forward to this semester

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

Juice Jam is a Syracuse University-sponsored event that is organized and run by University Union every fall semester.

The foundation for our musical catalog is generally built by songs we’ve enjoyed while growing up. But for some, favorite songs are linked to favorite memories such as an exciting party or a close football game.

Music and college students have a natural relationship. At Syracuse University, you can clearly see this through SU-sponsored music events, special concerts and talented students.

cleanerswanted

Both on-campus organizations and Greek fraternities regularly host concerts throughout the school year. The events usually take place at Schine Student Center or Skybarn on South Campus, and have featured performances by popular artists such as 21 Savage, Lil Uzi Vert, A Boogie or H.E.R. Tickets sometimes cost as low as $5, making concerts accessible to all students.

School-sponsored events such as Juice Jam and Mayfest are considered the biggest music events of the year. Juice Jam takes place at the beginning of the fall semester and it’s a fun way to kick off the fall. Previous headliners include Diplo, Fetty Wap and Big Sean.

Similar to Juice Jam, Mayfest is an all-day event offering food and festivities in Walnut Park. It takes place during the end of the spring semester, and is concluded with the day’s biggest concert, Block Party. Past Block Party headliners include Kendrick Lamar, SZA and Travis Scott. Between a mix of good music, food and large student crowds, it helps create a fun atmosphere the whole community can look forward to.

In addition to annual events and organized concerts, SU students have the opportunity to showcase talents in other ways. Many student DJ’s regularly host parties on campus and throughout the city. Student producers have modern beat machines and make good use of the advanced studios in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications buildings. A few student artists are even signed to major labels, giving them the opportunity to open for some of the top tier artists performing as part of SU-hosted concerts.

Like most college campuses, music is a staple for students at SU. The university recognizes this connection and actively works to support musicians, fans, writers and other creatives on campus. Mayfest and Juice Jam aim to bring students together. Organization-led concerts create excitement by giving fans an intimate place to listen to their favorite artists, while the countless resources available to student musicians on campus give them a place to improve their skills.

The Orange nation moves to the beat of the same drum. Regardless of genre or style, we all appreciate good music, and will continue to pass on our shared connections and traditions, one year at a time.

Jalen Nash is a junior political science major. His music column appears weekly in Pulp. You can email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @ja_nash3.