Women’s Soccer

Courtney Brosnan’s path overseas leads to US U-23 call-up

Josh Shub-Seltzer | Staff Photorapher

Courtney Brosnan finished the 2017 season with an ACC-best 102 saves.

Courtney Brosnan’s ultimate soccer goal is to play professionally in the United States, said her trainer Mark Williams. To do that, she had to take a detour.

After graduating as Syracuse’s all-time saves leader, she had no professional playing opportunities in the U.S. So she’s taken her talents to Club Croix de Savoie, a second-tier French team. Playing in Europe has opened a door to playing internationally, which may open other possibilities for pro opportunities back in the U.S.

Through 11 games in France’s second division, Brosnan’s talents have landed her a spot in goal with the U.S. U-23 national team for the Nordic Tournament. The move makes Brosnan the first member of Syracuse University to be called up for that tournament, since Brittany Anghel in 2012. Now, with an opportunity to play in front of what Williams called top-level international scouts, she may get back to her ultimate goal.

“She had to be active overseas …” Williams said. “They probably wouldn’t know about her. It’s a resume builder.”

Brosnan’s path to international soccer grew more probable when she was a freshman in high school and started training with Josh Osit, a goalkeeper coach. He began to work with Brosnan at the Players Development (New Jersey) Academy, where she was ranked the No. 12 goalie in the nation her junior year by the Soccer Girls IMG Academy Top 150.

“She honestly had no weaknesses even at that age,” Osit said. “I always wondered why she wasn’t being called into U.S. national teams because I thought she was one of the best goalkeepers around.”

As Osit worked with Brosnan, her intangibles were evident. She gained national acclaim because of her “smoothness,” Osit said. Brosnan brought bounce to play in the air and off the line with a confidence that helped her against penalties and in late-game situations.

top_of_the_charts

Laura Angle| Digital Design Editor

During her junior year of high school, Brosnan made her international debut when she was added to the U-17 Irish national team. Her high school career featured the 2010 New Jersey Group 3 state title for Millburn High School, along with being named the top goalkeeper for the 2013 All-American team. Before her commitment to Syracuse, Brosnan peaked as the No. 91 women’s soccer recruit in the country.

Brosnan found immediate success at Syracuse when she was named to the ACC All-Freshman Team. That didn’t stop her from wanting to improve her game.

In between each semester, Brosnan returned to New Jersey to develop. Williams, who began coaching Brosnan during her junior year of high school, was her guide. He put her through his strength and power development training, which involves high-intensity jumping and running drills. Williams’ created an individual workout plan for Brosnan that was harder than his average program because he recognized her strong work ethic. He hoped to improve her explosiveness.

“Before, it was more basic progressions,” Williams said. “Now, it’s the most advanced development that you can do.”

Brosnan’s summers were geared toward fixing small kinks while adjusting her mindset. Williams knew she had the skills to be a top goalkeeper in college soccer, but Brosnan’s mental mindset needed to conform to situational soccer.

Her growth continued as a sophomore at SU, when she led the ACC in saves with 81. As a junior, she upped the mark to 93, with a career-high 15 saves against Florida State.

With one season left, she further worked out small deficiencies with Williams over the summer, setting her up to break records in her senior year.

Going into that final season, SU’s only other goalie was Lysianne Proulx, who spent her first season learning behind the senior. The then-freshman was introduced to the “real technical side of soccer” from Brosnan, Proulx said.

“She taught me to try and not beat myself up with mistakes,” Proulx said. “I needed that.”

After a season overseas filled with cultural barriers and adjustments, Brosnan returned to her offseason training with Williams. Their 2018 summer consisted of much of the same, while Brosnan looked for her next challenge outside of the French second division. Though Williams didn’t see a huge change in her game, he knew the season abroad would pay off.

Two days before Brosnan’s new soccer endeavor was announced via Twitter, a sign of the benefit came when she texted Osit and Williams. And like every other periodic congratulatory reply text about awards and accomplishments, they both know there will be more of them to come.