CITY

Construction delays at The Marshall to displace all 287 tenants

Madeline Foreman | Staff Photographer

The Marshall underwent construction throughout the 2017-18 academic year, as pictured here in February 2018. Its developer said a delay has prevented the building from receiving the final sign-off for occupancy.

All 287 future tenants in a delayed student apartment complex near Marshall Street are being offered alternative housing in hotels or off-campus apartment buildings until construction wraps up.

The Marshall, a new, eight-story luxury apartment building towering over the former site of the Hungry Chuck’s bar and Funk ‘n Waffles, told 82 tenants in July that they would be offered alternative housing options because of construction delays. A spokesperson for The Marshall on Friday said all 287 future tenants will be displaced by the construction delays.  

Future residents of the complex’s second and third floors, a total of 82 students, will be housed in University Village Apartments on Colvin Street, a private apartment building near Syracuse University’s South Campus. The remaining 205 tenants are being offered housing at the Crowne Plaza Syracuse hotel on East Genesee Street.

When The Marshall’s apartments were advertised to students last year, the company promised construction would be completed before the start of SU’s fall 2018 semester. But construction delays, including utility work, have prevented the building from receiving “a final sign-off for occupancy,” said Jared Hutter, the building’s developer, in a statement.

Tenants will continue to pay The Marshall’s rent rate while living in the hotel and apartment building.

The Marshall will provide a $200 gift card and $50 in meal credits each week to tenants living in the Crowne Plaza and University Village, said David Margulies, a spokesperson for The Marshall.

Tenants have the option of finding their own temporary housing, Margulies said. But those who choose their own living arrangements will not receive the gift card or the meal credit, he added. Instead, they will be given a rent credit so they don’t have to pay rent until they move into The Marshall.

Margulies added that the Crowne Plaza is providing access to the hotel’s gym and laundry services, as well as a shuttle to and from SU, for the tenants temporarily living there.

The Marshall’s goal is to have tenants move into their apartments sometime in September, according to a Friday press release. An official move-in date hasn’t been announced.

“We will be communicating directly with the students involved to make sure they understand the process we are taking to ensure they have a place to stay when the school year begins,” Hutter said in the release.