Summer Guide 2018

Live theater in Syracuse: What to see this summer

Courtesy of Landmark Theatre

The Landmark Theatre will host comedians Jerry Seinfeld on June 8 and Miranda Sings on July 14 this summer.

Local theaters are gearing up for a summer of live entertainment in Syracuse. The Central New York Playhouse, the Redhouse Arts Center and the Landmark Theatre are presenting musicals, plays and comedy shows throughout the upcoming months.

“In the summer there’s a lot of entertainment options, but our air-conditioned theater is a nice place to spend two hours and laugh and cry and get away from the world for awhile,” said Dustin Czarny, artistic director of the CNY Playhouse.

CNY Playhouse at ShoppingTown Mall in DeWitt will present “Into the Woods” from June 8-23, “Rock of Ages” from July 13-28 and “It’s Only a Play” from Aug. 9-18.

“Into the Woods” follows the story of a baker and his wife who meet fairytale characters in their quest to have a child. The show is a family-favorite “musical theater staple” about raising children in a world of fairytale and harsh reality, Czarny said. Rehearsals for the production, directed by Korrie Taylor, are currently in full swing.  

“Rock of Ages,” directed by Dan Rowlands, is an ’80s rock jukebox musical about an aspiring rocker who falls in love with a small-town girl. The duo tries to save the Sunset Strip from capitalist developers with the help of rock legend Stacee Jaxx.

With ’80s hits including “Hit Me with Your Best Shot,” “Don’t Stop Believin’” and “We Built This City,” the show follows CNY Playhouse’s tradition of producing “loud and raucous” summer musicals, Czarny said. Unlike “Into the Woods,” Czarny said, “Rock of Ages” isn’t suitable for young children.

CNY Playhouse’s August production is typically an “experimental production,” Czarny said. “It’s Only a Play” is about a cast and creative team waiting to hear the opening night reviews of their new Broadway play.

Redhouse Arts Center on South Salina Street will present “La Cage aux Folles” from May 31 to June 10. The musical tells the story of drag club owner, Georges, and his partner, Albin, a star performer.

Broadway veteran Dirk Lumbard will star as Georges. His first experience with “La Cage” was watching the 1978 film.

“It was a very important story that had never been told, and it still resonates I think as being a very important story to keep going forward,” Lumbard said.

Starring as Albin is Redhouse favorite Steve Hayes, who performed his one-man show at the Redhouse last month. Hayes and Lumbard have worked together before — they both starred in “Xanadu” and “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” at the Connecticut Repertory Theatre.

“He’s not easy to play off of because he can just crack you up, he’s so funny,” Lumbard said of Hayes. Lumbard said he is “over the moon” to work with Hayes and director Cassie Abate again.

“La Cage aux Folles” is the final performance of Redhouse’s 2017-18 mainstage season. Redhouse hosts several performance and theater design workshops for children ages 6-17 throughout the summer.

The Landmark Theatre will host two comedy shows this summer: “Seinfeld Live” on June 8 and “Miranda Sings Live…No Offense” on July 14.

Jerry Seinfeld will deliver his famous stand-up comedy routine and “Miranda Sings” will perform comedy and musical numbers made famous on her YouTube channel. Miranda Sings is a character created by performer Colleen Ballinger, who went viral after Ballinger made an appearance on Seinfeld’s “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.”

Katie Stam, the marketing and administrative coordinator at the Landmark, said summer is the theater’s “downtime” as they gear up for the 2018-19 season. The venue will host private events throughout the summer, such as graduation ceremonies, graduation parties and weddings.

The Broadway in Syracuse 2018-19 season will kick off with “Fiddler on the Roof” in October. The Landmark plans to announce more shows for the fall season in the next couple months, said Mike Intaglietta, executive director of the Landmark Theatre.