on campus

Here’s the latest update on the Archbold Gymnasium renovation

Katie Reahl | Staff Photographer

SU’s Office of Health Promotion will hire more staff to accommodate programming at the new facility, and SU Health Services will receive new equipment.

Syracuse University will hire additional peer educators and revamp its health services department as part of the renovations to Archbold Gymnasium, the university announced Thursday.

The estimated $50 million renovation to the gym is expected to be completed in fall 2019. The Office of Health Promotion will hire 20 to 35 additional peer educators, and SU Health Services will have updated technology and equipment, according to an SU News release.

SU previously announced that the Counseling Center, Office of Health Promotion, SU Health Services, Recreation Services and the Office of Student Assistance will all be located in the renovated building, which will be called “The Arch.”

The renovated gym will have a multi-floor fitness center, a multiuse pool, a rock climbing wall, a multi-activity sports court and fully accessible bathrooms and locker rooms, SU announced in May 2017.

door2door

The Office of Health Promotion will hold wellness training and workshops in a peer education room at The Arch, per the release. SU’s peer educators teach students about healthy relationships, sexuality and sexual and relationship violence.

Health services will have a triage area on the first floor so students can be assessed quickly, per the release. The layout of the customer care center will allow for increased patient privacy by separating phone appointments from customer service, according to the release.

SU announced in January that the Counseling Center will hire more staff, including four new counselors, a psychiatrist and a training director to oversee new student trainees. The Counseling Center is still searching for people to fill those positions.

SU began moving gym equipment from Archbold to Flanagan Gymnasium and the Women’s Building during Thanksgiving break, and Archbold was closed at the beginning of the spring semester.