student life column

Dome renovations should focus on accessibility and inclusion, not just recruitment

Courtsey of Syracuse University

The renovations to the Carrier Dome is an $118 million project to be completed by fall 2020.

As it undergoes renovation, the Carrier Dome should become an accessible place for the Syracuse University and SUNY-ESF community.

On May 14, SU announced a $118 million project to enhance the stadium experience for students and community members attending events at the Carrier Dome. The flagship improvement is a new roof, set to be completed by fall 2020. Other improvements to the concourse, restrooms, scoreboard and closed captioning services are included in the first phase of the project.

SU is not the first major university to perform renovations on its stadium in recent years. In 2014, Duke University brought students closer to the field by removing awkward barriers between the seats and the action. More recently, Tennessee announced a $340 million project to renovate Neyland Stadium at the end of their 2017 season.

SU’s Dome renovation plan was two years in the making, said Amir Rahnamay-Azar, SU’s Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.

The decision to invest seems to be based on the logic that better stadiums bolster the student experience. According to Syracuse University News, Chancellor Kent Syverud said that “creating a new stadium experience is a key element to supporting a vibrant and diverse campus community.” The stadium renovations are just one part of a 30-year campus framework project aimed at enhancing the student experience.

So that is what it must do. And not just for student athletes. Renovations are an opportunity to change restrooms to be gender-inclusive and safe for all ages by removing the troughs and unsanitary sinks. New locker rooms help the few who use them, but new seats enhance the experience of the thousands that come and pay to watch.

Access into the stadium can be made easier as well. A new roof would allow for the removal of the inaccessible revolving doors — the clunky stadium entrances will become obsolete, said Pete Sala, SU’s vice president and chief facilities officer.

No longer will students be slammed in the backs by a door as another group rushes into Gate E Boehiemburg.

“Once we’ve removed and replaced the air supported roof, we will be able to remove the revolving doors and airlocks,” Sala said.

This project is an opportunity to open the arena to everyone and truly make it a space that matches the value of inclusivity that SU holds so dear.

Six million of the $118 million is going to Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)-related upgrades to install a new accessible entrance and more wheelchair accessible seating.

Moving forward, disability advocates such as the Disability Cultural Center and the Office of Disability Services must be a part of discussions to ensure access to those with physical limitations.

“Collaboration and engagement with members of our disability community, especially our students, will be a critical part of the process as we work to create a new stadium experience,” Sala said.

Recruiting new students, both athletes and nonathletes, should be a result, not a goal of the new renovations. Accessibility and the student experience should be the priority.

Patrick Linehan is a freshman policy studies and economics dual major. His column appears biweekly. He can be reached at [email protected].