From The Stage

Redhouse production of ‘The Snow Queen’ brings winter back to Syracuse

Courtesy of Genevieve Fridley

Though it’s based on a fairytale, director Temar Underwood said “The Snow Queen” isn’t just for children because everyone can relate to its theme of love.

Seeing “The Snow Queen” may bring to mind images of magical kingdoms and ice queens preaching independence atop crystal castles. But while the musical does include most of these things, it isn’t the same thing as the hit animated movie “Frozen.”

Originally written by Hans Christian Andersen as a children’s fairytale, “The Snow Queen” is recognized for its role in influencing the creation of “Frozen.” But the show’s recent musical theater adaptation is much different.

Redhouse Arts Center debuted its production of “The Snow Queen” on Friday. The play will run through Sunday, and the final performance is already sold-out. The show is held at the City Center Small Theater, one of three theaters at the company’s new location.

“(It’s) a beautiful state-of-the-art theater with many more available seats and a much bigger space,” said Kassandra Melendez-Ramirez, a cast member and Redhouse teaching artist.

The show’s development was a largely deliberative process — not only among the artists at Redhouse but with the creators of the story. They gave Redhouse a lot of creative freedom, said Temar Underwood, the show’s director.

“We had a lot of fun in the rehearsal process in creating this new world without restrictions,” Underwood said.

“The Snow Queen” is not necessarily a children’s show, Underwood said, as it deals with themes of love that anyone can relate to.

2the-snow-queen_courtesy-of-genevieve-fridley

Courtesy of Genevieve Fridley

The production was organized through Redhouse’s education department and includes a cast made up of teenagers from the community, local professionals and participants from the Arc of Onondaga, said Marguerite Mitchell, director of education at Redhouse.

This is the art center’s sixth year in partnership with the Arc of Onondaga, a foundation that promotes inclusion of people with developmental disabilities. Mitchell said all the teenagers and professionals involved are coming together in partnership with the Arc to tell this story as a theatrical unit. For her, this is special to watch on stage.

“It’s also really special from an audience perspective to see really a true definition of community presented on stage through a show,” Mitchell added.

For Redhouse, inclusion and community rank among the most important principles in theater, Mitchell said. Melendez-Ramirez said the venue is made for everyone, so artists from all walks of life should be participating. She’s been working alongside the Arc for two years now.

“It’s interesting to see how much they’ve grown in their artistry, and it’s so cool to see the confidence and the excitement and the passion that all of them have,” she said. “It inspires me each and every day.”