city

News briefs: 4 stories from around Syracuse this weekend

SU students smashed a car on South Campus to relieve stress from finals.

Here are some of the biggest stories from around Syracuse that you may have missed this weekend:

Mayfest Headliner: Quinn XCII

Quinn XCII will be headlining Mayfest 2018 alongside rapper YBN Nahmir and DJ-producer Orange Calderón, University Union announced on Friday.

Mayfest will be held on April 27 at 1 p.m. in Walnut Park prior to the start of Block Party, which will take place in the Carrier Dome. Gucci Mane, SZA and Medasin will perform at Block Party.

Quinn XCII is known for bringing together elements of pop, electronic, soul and hip-hop music. One of his most famous songs, “Straightjacket,” has been streamed more than 39 million times around the world.

YBN Nahmir, an 18-year-old rapper from Alabama,  is well known for his song “Rubbin Off the Paint” which hit No. 79 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart and No. 33 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop chart.

DJ-producer Orange Calderón has performed in a Jeep Commercial and opened for Skrillex and Outkast. She was also the first woman to win a national DJ competition in 2016.

SU students relieve finals stress  

South Campus Residence Director Jasen Nieves-Herrera hosted an event for Syracuse University students to relieve their stress from finals by smashing a car with baseball bats and sledgehammers, Syracuse.com reported.

SU students could either pay $5 or donate five food items to Hendricks Chapel to participate in the event, per Syracuse.com. Syracuse Habitat for Humanity, Disaster Relief for Puerto Rico and the Hendricks Chapel Food Pantry will split the donations.

The event was hosted at the Goldstein Student Center on South Campus. Final exams will begin during the first week of May.

Residents mourn at Fitch Street fire memorial

Hundreds of Syracuse residents on Saturday mourned four family members who were killed in a fire last week, Syracuse.com reported.

Susan Wagner, 45, and two of her children — 18-year-old Korinna DuBois and 16-year-old Michael Dubois — were killed in the fire at their home on Fitch Street. Korinna DuBois’s child, 1-year-old Hunter, was also killed.

Charles DuBois, the brother of Korinna and Michael, is currently facing first-degree arson charges and second-degree murder and assault charges in connection to the fire, according to Syracuse.com. His charges stem from an accusation that he set two fires at 3:15 a.m. on April 5, while his family was sleeping, Syracuse.com reported.

The Saturday event took place outside St. Lucy’s Church on Gifford Street. More than 200 people attended the funeral, Syracuse.com reported.

Wagner’s father and one of the DuBois’ cousins spoke at the funeral. They said they felt “empty and broken” after losing their family members, Syracuse.com reported.

Man stabbed in buttocks

A 25-year-old man was stabbed in the buttocks on West Genesee Street on Saturday night, Syracuse.com reported. The stabbing occurred near Brooklyn Pickle, according to Syracuse.com.

The Syracuse Police Department said at the time the injuries didn’t seem to be life-threatening, Syracuse.com reported.

The victim was taken to Upstate University Hospital for treatment, Syracuse.com reported, and the medical staff found an unknown object near the man’s injury. The medical staff said the object could be “possibly some type of projectile” or a piece of the knife, Syracuse.com reported.

Police said the victim didn’t cooperate with investigating officers or provide suspect information.