News briefs: 3 Syracuse stories you may have missed

A 17-year-old boy was also stabbed in the chest at Destiny USA on Saturday, Syracuse.com reported.

Here are some of the biggest Syracuse University and city of Syracuse stories you may have missed this weekend.

Dean condemns ‘fake news’ statement

Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications on Friday joined 13 other schools in condemning Sinclair Broadcast Group for requiring anchors nationwide to read a scripted statement accusing other outlets of spreading “fake news.”

Lorraine Branham, dean of the Newhouse School, signed the letter, along with deans and department chairs of schools at the University of Maryland, University of Southern California and The George Washington University, among others.

“Ironically, Sinclair’s use of news personnel to deliver commentary — not identified as such — may further erode what has traditionally been one of the strongest allegiances in the news landscape, the trust that viewers put in their local television stations,” the letter read.

Sinclair has come under scrutiny in recent weeks after CNN reported the national broadcasting company would require anchors on its nearly 200 stations to deliver a scripted statement accusing other outlets of running biased and false stories. The statement also accused media outlets of trying to control “exactly what people think.”  

Branham, along with leaders at other schools, said in the letter some students who believe in ethical and unbiased news reporting are now apprehensive about future employers’ demands.

SU student deported after threatening to commit mass shooting

A Syracuse University student stockpiled weapon accessories and threatened to commit a mass shooting before being deported last month, a Syracuse Police Department official revealed at a Thursday meeting.

Xiaoteng Zhan, a 22-year-old SU student, was apprehended by federal agents in late March after attempting to return to Syracuse from Mexico, Syracuse.com reported. Before his deportation, Zhan had attempted to buy an AR-15 — an assault rifle frequently used in recent mass shootings — and sought psychiatric care twice recently, according to Syracuse.com.

When authorities entered Zhan’s apartment in mid-March, officers found ammunition, a shotgun shoulder carrier, laser scope and light.

Syracuse Deputy Police Chief Derek McGork revealed details of the mass shooting threat at a Thursday school safety task force meeting. He read an English translation of text messages Zhan sent to a friend, which included descriptions of a “dark side” that pushed Zhan to buy a gun, bulletproof vest and other items.

“I might use the gun to cause trouble,” Zhan said in the texts read at the meeting by McGork. “I have been preparing.”

Destiny USA stabbing

A 17-year-old boy was stabbed in the chest at Destiny USA on Saturday, Syracuse.com reported.

The Syracuse Police Department responded to VILLA, a shoe and clothing store at the mall, to find the boy stabbed in the chest, according to Syracuse.com. The boy was rushed to the State University of New York Upstate Medical University. He was listed in critical condition, Syracuse.com reported.

A suspect in the stabbing was reported to be wearing a black hat and a dark-colored sweatshirt at the time of the attack, according to Syracuse.com.