From The Studio

Kurt Riley brings ‘meta-pop’ sound to Syracuse

Madeline Foreman | Staff Photographer

Kurt Riley compares his setlists to a roller coaster — there are peaks and valleys, moments of intensity and moments of relaxation.

Kurt Riley began his musical career as a teenager 15 years ago, when he turned to music as an outlet and means of self-expression. Now, Riley is on tour and will perform at Funk ‘n Waffles on Saturday. His next single, which he’ll play at his gig in Syracuse, is expected to drop this month.

At first, Riley was interested in early rhythm and blues artists. Then he flashed forward, becoming more inspired by The Rolling Stones, Prince, and T. Rex.

“I became a musical historian,” he said. “I looked through decades of music.”

Riley describes his current sound as “meta-pop,” because it draws from various genres outside of pop such as rock, hip-hop and electronic — he loves to combine sounds.

The artist and his sound have both evolved over the years. Riley’s first album, Brighthead, was recorded in classic DIY style inside a converted garage. One of the engineers of this album was Beyoncé producer BOOTS. His second album told a story about extraterrestrial life, and his most recent album is more “singer-songwriter.”

“I get bored easily, so I want to do something different (for every album). Each time, I am reinventing myself,” Riley said.

His latest song, released in February, is different from his previous work because it has electronic elements. Another single will debut this month, called “Failure of Imagination,” which combines rock and hip-hop sounds.

The song is about not listening to the people who tell you that you can’t make it, Riley said, and it reflects the rejection he has experienced. The new song will be a part of his setlist at his show in Syracuse.

“My setlists have to have a peak and a valley, much like if you’re looking at a roller coaster from the side,” he said. “It needs to be intense, but there also needs to be moments where people can relax and contemplate.”

This is his first time in Syracuse, and he said his show is going to be incredible because of the electric percussion. This type of music can at times make the audience feel like they’re at a rock show, and other times like they are at an electronic music festival.

To Riley, applause is the one thing that makes performing great. That’s when he knows he’s done something right and people are enjoying his music.

“I’ve had people tell me I’m one of the more original artists in New York,” Riley said. “I try to be weird and stand out because being weird is more fun.”

Kurt Riley will be performing at Funk ‘n Waffles on Saturday, along with the group The Blind Spots. Doors open at 9 p.m. and the show begins at 10 p.m. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased online.