Block Party 2018

Gucci Mane and SZA rocked the Dome at this year’s Block Party

Leigh Ann Rodgers | Staff Photographer

Block Party headliner Gucci Mane performed recent hits like “I Get the Bag” and older ones like “Bricks” and “I Think I Love Her.”

Christmas came early at the Dome this year with the East Atlanta Santa’s visit to Syracuse University.

University Union hosted their annual Block Party in the Carrier Dome on Friday night, featuring DJ Orange Calderón, SZA and Gucci Mane.

But the show didn’t start off as planned. In an ironic twist of fate, EDM artist DJ Medasin called in a sick day. Los Angeles-based DJ Orange Calderón, who performed earlier at Mayfest, filled in. Her sounds ran the gamut of today’s hits – everything from from Kanye West to Rihanna – allowing the crowd to get moving early. Orange added her own flairs and flourishes to each song, making it more than just a playlist. After her set, Orange Calderón bid adieu, blowing kisses to the crowd and thanking them for dancing along.

042718_blockparty_gavinliddell_sp-4

Gavin Liddell | Staff Photographer

A short break followed, with the crowd eagerly awaiting the next act of the night, SZA.

Soon enough, the St. Louis-native singer entered, immediately opening with “Supermodel” and “Go Gina.” Behind her, a looping projection showed a trio of women strutting down a runway.

“What the f*ck is up Syracuse!” yelled SZA after her first two songs. “I want to thank you for being here and being in school.”

She soon added, “I spent most of my college career getting high.” Laughter and cheers erupted from the swelling crowd.

Backing SZA was a three-piece band with a guitarist/bassist, keyboardist and drummer. Unlike many modern artists that simply run a backing track, the live band better realized SZA’s wavy, neo-soul sound.

Most of SZA’s set was comprised of tracks off her Grammy-nominated studio debut “Ctrl.” She poeticized the female reproductive system on “Doves in the Wind” and the troubles of a lopsided relationship on “Drew Barrymore.” She didn’t just play new material though, nodding to her past with the song “Childs Play.”

042718_blockparty_gavinliddell_sp-8

Gavin Liddell | Staff Photographer

Over the course of the whole set, the entire crowd belted along to the songs. If presence is proportional to body size, SZA defies it — the petite singer filled the Dome with ease. Her voice is both powerful and soft, with a near-perfect, angel-like quality. Even the small fills between songs were incredible.

Finally, she played her biggest hit, “The Weekend” at the end of her time, parting on a high note. She did surprise the crowd with a short encore, blessing every “20 something” in attendance.

The other headliner, Gucci Mane, was up next.

042718_blockparty_gavinliddell_sp-13

Gavin Liddell | Staff Photographer

The Atlanta trap star took his time taking the stage, with his own DJ giving a set to occupy the crowd. Some of the crowd left, casualties of the marathon nature of Mayfest and Block Party, others impatient with the wait time. But for those who held out, they were in for a treat.

The crowd lit up as Gucci Mane took the stage. He started out with “I Get the Bag,” and everyone went wild. Mane maintained this high energy with an almost nonstop barrage of music spanning his entire discography for nearly an hour. Older hits such as “Bricks” and “I Think I Love Her” blended right into newer ones like “Black Beatles.”

In between songs, Gucci would interject some of his classic adlibs like “Swizzop,” and “It’s Gucci,” never losing any momentum.

The East Atlanta Santa expended nearly all of the crowd’s energy by the time he left. With the all-day party wrapping up, no one was disappointed with the night.